Kona Explosif 2008 - Fork Length?

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
I'm lucky enough to have just picked up an '08 Explosif, which I intend to run fully rigid.

Trying to identify what fork length these should be.

The document linked below is a bit confusing, as it doesn't mention the Explosif, and lists the other XC hardtails as either 80mm suspension or 100mm suspension.

"CROSS COUNTRY HARDTAIL MTB - Blast, Cinder Cone, Caldera -Lightweight, durable, all day cross country bikes. -100mm (4 inch) of suspension travel on the front -XC Hardtails feature specific new frametube shapes for optimum strength, weight, stiffness and comfort."

"CROSS COUNTRY RACE – Kula, Kula Deluxe, Kula Supreme - All Kona hardtails share the same race proven geometry. Regardless of the price, ride quality is not compromised. Short chainstays offer excellent power transfer to the rear wheel. Sloping top tube and generous top tube lengths offer a perfect fit for both men and women.
* Kula Supreme is designed for 80mm forks and has racing geometry * Kula has shaped performance specific aluminum frameset. * Kula Deluxe, Kula Supreme use Scandium tubing for ultimate weight savings, stiffness & strength"

The bike has come with some Marzocchi EXR suspension forks, which measure up 465mm c-a. To me the bike should either be running 425mm c-a, or 445 c-a.

Any input?

Thanks

Joe

Just been reading this thread, but still a bit confused as to what to go for.

Hello,
If it helps I currently run mine with 100mm SIDs and it’s spot on. I have also been thinking about putting some suspension corrected P2s on it. It should be great fully rigid!

regards

Attachments

• C825741E-C345-4346-9EFE-180746CA5183.jpeg
    C825741E-C345-4346-9EFE-180746CA5183.jpeg
    566.5 KB · Views: 21
It was a frame only and as a Hardtail XC frame so treat it like the other Hardtail XC
Aka 100mm give or take.

Thanks both - you have confirmed what my general feeling was - a 100mm or 44.5cm rigid fork. Luckily I've got a set of triple butted P2's at that length...…..:) although I may go down the carbon route at some-point to save a few grams.

Joe

Back