Issue with crank installation

Kramoose

Dirt Disciple
Another noob question no doubt - apologies if this is the case. I’m building my mrs a 2001 Zakar (and wish I’d never bothered!)

I have fitted chain rings to the crankset but now the spindle doesn’t pass through the bottom bracket far enough for the other crank to be attached.

It is like the smallest chain ring doesn’t allow it to be pushed on enough. Is this an issue with chainring compatibility or bottom bracket / crank compatibility? Or am I being completely stupid?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 22
Looks to me that that small chainring is preventing them being installed correctly. What brand ring is it?

How wide is the bottom bracket shell? If it's a 73mm one I think you have too many spacers. But from the looks of it the tabs on the smallest chainring are interfering. They should clear the shell. So you might need a bit of fettling or a different ring. Does it fit without the inner chainring.

How wide is the bottom bracket shell? If it's a 73mm one I think you have too many spacers. But from the looks of it the tabs on the smallest chainring are interfering. They should clear the shell. So you might need a bit of fettling or a different ring. Does it fit without the inner chainring.
The frame shell width looks to be 68mm and there are indeed some spacers on both sides. Do I just remove the spacers then? Thanks for reply btw

Yes it does fit with out the smallest chain ring

yes check the chainrings are correct, the part code from the crank arm would help something like FH-M*** stamped in to the back of the crank arm. the inner ring is clearly not the correct one, although that doesn't mean it won't work. i would also point out that the timing marks indicate that you don't have them correctly aligned on to the crank arms. the "tab" is the timing mark on each ring and should be inline with the crank arm.

also you have the BB spacing wrong, the driveside (if a 68mm shell) should have 2 x spacers, the non drive side should have 1 spacer, although the non drive these days shimano give you 2 thinner spacers

Back