Is it worth it?

Lhatch4

Fat Chance Fan
A bike just came up for sale near me. It's too small but has interesting kit. Comes with Spinergy SPOX wheelset. The bike is $150. Other usable parts too. Can old carbon wheels like this be safely used? What are they worth?

Last edited:
I guess I'm buying a parts bike. It has a manitou fork in good shape, raceface crankset, xtr rear derailleur, Avid V-brakes. I'll sell what I don't keep.

Sounds like a good enough deal . I've had 2 Spinergy Spox wheelsets, one was perfect, really damped the trail chatter. Pretty cool wheels.

Another set came on an old Rocky Mountain Thin Air, rear rim was cracked at one eyelet. Ended up putting the spokes for sale on ebay, sold em one at a time, drive side sold the best... The spokes sold rather well at $10 per, took a little over a year to sell em all. Many people reached out for the hub and hub parts, but the rear hub had come unglued and I made it into cabinet door knobs. I ended up selling the front wheel for $60-$70. I did have to spend $30 for the little spoke adjustment wrenches from Spinergy, if I come across another set I'll most likely do the same thing, the spinergy brand rims are notoriously brittle.

Attachments

• spinerrgy.jpg
    spinerrgy.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I think the rims will probably go on a wall hanger. I'm not sure what bike just yet. Even if they are in perfect condition they sound risky to ride.

Spox wheels are generally fine, no real difference imho to old wheels in general. You might need to replace some spokes, the hubs and rims are like others really.

For $150 it's not a big risk along with the other parts you mention.

I haven't had a chance to take my own pictures. This was the best picture on the listing to show a wheel. They seem fine. Nothing obviously wrong. I think someone may have tried to true the wheels at some point without the proper wrenches. I'll have more time to check them over tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220422-101543_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-101543_Facebook.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 25
Back