Internal routing hateful thing rant.

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Of all the modern developments we`ve been lucky to have in this fine hobby of ours there is nothing positive I have to say about internal routing.I F**KIN HATE IT.I have 2 internal routed bikes and its a bitch for recabling/maintenance.I have just taken delivery of a new Chinese frame and it has tested my patience,even with a dedicated magnet routing kit.People say it looks sleek and tidy but I couldnt be arsed.Thanks,I needed to get that off my chest,now back to chasing a cable with a b*stard magnet:mad:.

Couldn't agree with you more.
It's a pain, creates worse shifting and from what i understand the whole madness is driven by the fact it's cheaper to produce a hole in a carbon frame than manufacture an external stop.
I have rivetted external stops and guides to my last two internally routed frames.

I’m not a fan at all and deliberately when buying the last gravel bike decided for the one with external cables.

Mtb however has them , and luckily has sleeves so routing the brake was easy and went with AXS for the gears so wasn’t too bad overall.

I just route the cables on the outside regardless and gorilla tape or zip tie them into place.

IIRC Saracen were doing it on their MTBs way back in the early 90s.

take a thread, as in a skinny bit of fabric, the stuff you sew with. pull off enough to fit through frame from hole to hole.
take a vacuum cleaner, the thing you drag round the house once a week in an attempt to make it look something liveable and not a barn.
Tie thread to handle bar (or other fixed bit of bike near entry hole) then place other end of thread near one hole or threaded just slightly in to hole.
place vaccum cleaner at other hole and turn on.
thread will now perform magic trick and try to break vacuum cleaner by leaping through frame from one hole to other.
untie (or snip) thread from handle bar (or other fixed bit of bike you tied it too), tie it to the cable, I like prusik with a a double overhand hitch. I tend to back this up with a bit of elechicken tape for safe measure.
pull cable through frame. if frame is complex, use a long length of plastic after the thread before you try the cable. You'll get a better connection to the cable. I stripped a plastic bottle in to 2mm wide filament a few years back that works perfectly.

take ******* annoying magnetic routing kit and chuck it where it belongs, in the bin, waste of money, time and good magnets. you will never see a shop use one, if you do, it's because the cleaners broke, quite likely because the workshop monkey got his cock caught in the spinny bit, dirty bugger. (note, not every spanner weilder is a monkey, some are apes. :) )

I had to work on quite a few parlee tt bikes. To me they are the anti-bike - cables routed through the bar, stem, steerer and head tube before you even get to the bloody awful frame proper. Try your vacuum trick on that. Shaving a precisely vanishingly meaningless amount of time off in my view for daft clots who bought them. Shave yer stupid beard off first in my opinion. I haven't had a drink but this is making me want one.

I was talking to a local mechanic(guy is extremely competent)and he says certain recabling/rehosing jobs now take hours with internal instead of a half hour with external routing.My three bikes need the bottom bracket to be removed to fit a new mech cable,think about it,what total bellend thought that up?Also,not to forget that the rear brake must be fully bled also after installation. I have a background in engineering and have never seen such an ill thought out and useless concept gain such traction and be accepted as the norm.I can appreciate modern geo/brakes/1x/suspension/wheel sizes etc etc but this one baffles me.

Back