I don't get why some people don't get ebikes.

It's all about where you draw the line, isn't it? Nature doesn't need us walking or cycling or ebiking into it. If it was able to express a preference, it would probably be that we shouldn't bother.

There is definitely a good point around destroying other people's natural resources to enjoy our own (but the point could be extended to clothing, boots, even normal bikes - never mind driving, flying or other forms of travel there). But lithium battery recycling rates are also really poor in comparison to lead acid ones. Hopefully, that will change.

The e-bikers I see in my area are not at all doing it for commuting though are they?
They are invariably mountainbikers.
They usually have 4 ebikes vertically stacked on the back of their SUV.
They always seem to drive to the start point / trail head. Well okay.
But you're not telling me that is better for the environment than having 4 normal bikes.
I'm not having it. It's worse.

Because now they are using a car and an e-bike instead of a car and a normal non-e-bike.🤡

Last edited:
I know a few who are leaving the car at home thanks to having an 'easy' option to get into the hills. I'm all for that; and one of our primary hopes is to get into that position regarding our favourite local rides. For that we need a minimum of thirty miles 'real' range. I don't see me wanting to use an assist bike day to day though. I bet they all say that!

Back