' Hybrid / emtb' Brake Upgrade - question now resolved.

Wenagade

Dirt Disciple
Hello

Wishing to upgrade brakes piory the shop installing, currently 160 front & rear rotors & some say can use current others say bigger & including the thicker magura rotors, current rotors have done nearly 2000 miles.

New brakes intended magura trial sport 203mm front 180mm rear as its a hybrid emtb type bike like the focus whisper2 @ 23 kg hub bafang weighty, not wanting the estop version as wish to keep brakes after the bike gives up the ghost for a project plus size ( fathom / stance) mtb.

Pictures of current brakes & rotor options as I'm thinking the Magura lite rotors.

It's only for mild XC riding gravel roads & woods.

I'd like to take the stuff to the shop without them saying I need this rotor or that adaptor.

Obviously I'm no good with mechanical stuff.

Thanks for any clarification or pointers to intended brake upgrade from M275 tektro.

Attachments

• IMG_20230925_181632.jpg
    IMG_20230925_181632.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230925_181619.jpg
    IMG_20230925_181619.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230925_190645.jpg
    Screenshot_20230925_190645.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hi

Well I've a choice of hc rotors slightly less weight & hdr optimized for ebike vibrations, however the bike is only used on mild trials for short periods, so unsure which to get including the sizes.

As it's a hub rear regeon of 6kg wheel yet a single speed mind, I'd say the lighter would suffice yet here for others to point over my comprehension.

Then there's size I thought 203 & 180 rear, & as for the adaptors which ones are mine post mount ?

Ta

Well their post mount, there's an adaptor for 160 to 203 & one that states to increase by 20 mm which I'd assumes could do rear to 180 from 160.

The fork is a brand new suntour xcm 30 & not for jumps etc so I would say then from your concern to just go 180 front & rear.

Do the Mt trials work on standard 160 mm rotors as I'm only after a slight improvement as the brakes are for the following custom mtb in that the £1000 second hand entry levels come with MT200 etc & I'm happy with the deore & entry forks sub 2kg if bike is 14kg or 13 etc.

If I can I'd just prefer to use the existing 160 rotors on new Mt trial sport brakes.

Ta

Yes head & heart I can get some cheapish 180 mm rotors & adaptors & improve braking for about £50

Good idea because my next bike I'm stuck between a gravel for distance or a plus size mtb for comfort & the magura can only work for one not both !

Thanks ill go with the head.

Lastly perhaps just a 180 on the front? As the M275 are surprisingly good just need a little extra now the forks have taken bike from 20kg est to 23kg est, although with a 6kg hub wheel both 180 as 2000 miles rotor wear on said hub significant as it wears the rear pads out first by some margin.

S

Last edited:
2000 mile won't have made a dent in the brake disc unless you rode everywhere with them on.
front brake does more work than the rear, pads should wear quicker. Father in law has same brakes on his Whyte Ebike. he's approaching 14k miles and discs are still well within spec.

180/160 would be a fine approach, I see no reason not to make changes in stages, also 50 quid, that's steep.

180mm lifeline disc is 9.99 on wiggle.
shimano adapter is 5.99.

32 British pounds for upgrade to 180mm.

Your front is post mount so a +20mm post mount adapter is needed. Rear you need a 180mm 'Post-mount to I.S' adapter.

I second the idea to just get bigger rotors. Also new pads. Sintered pads offer more power but can be noisy in wet weather. Either way new pads and bigger rotors should see a decent improvement in braking power

Latest posts

Back