Hugh porter bike

Dom

Retro Newbie
Hi, this is my first post, I hope someone can shed light on my recently acquired vintage bike. I would describe my whole approach to cycling is an enthusiastic amateur, I just like riding a bike! The Hugh porter bike was bought because I love the aesthetic of steel frame bikes, I spotted this one on gumtree a couple of years ago and my fate was sealed, Hugh porter was based at aldersley stadium where I used to go athletics training when I was a kid. I got lucky because it's a nice colour and it's been a well maintained bike. I have only changed one thing, the pedals couldn't accommodate my very wide feet so I went for pedals that could. Hugh porter had his race bikes built at woodruffs and superficially it has some similar characteristics, so i wrote to them, they said it wasn't built by them and that Hugh porter was a shrewd businessman who had them built elsewhere, cheaper, I then spotted a frame for sale at a local vintage bike dealer and they told me it was built in 1980 and was a training bike. Their frame was for a veloce, mine may have lost it's decals at some point. So my question is simple, where was it built? I know he put his name to some bantel kids bikes, but I am pretty certain this isn't one of those ( apparently the drop outs are decent) here are some pics.
It's serial number is 00005. I thought about writing to Mr porter but so far I haven't found a way to do that. hp3 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back