Holdsworth Frame Decals

dwscrimshaw

Retro Guru
Starting to re-paint as 1958 Monsoon frame and been looking for decals. Seems to be quite a choice, any idea which once would have been used and if it was model/year dependent? Looking at pics on the web is confusing as there is no way to know what is original. Classic lightweights is a bit vague after 1955 and the Holdsworth history site tends to use the same photos through out the years.

I think the text went very square/plain from the 70's and before that there seems to be three options.

W F Holdsworth, this seems quite common

Scripted W F Holdsworth, often seen

Just Holdsworth, not often seen, but listed by H Lloyd too.

Any thoughts or is it a matter of preference?

Attachments

• W F Holdsworth.JPG
    W F Holdsworth.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,019
  • Script.JPG
    Script.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,020
  • Plain.JPG
    Plain.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 2,021
For a late 50's frame I would say the second 'script' version rings more bells with me than the other two.

Can you still get 'Holdsworth' decals? I thought Planet X owned the brand and the right to sell decals.

Old Ned":1qda1hir said:
Can you still get 'Holdsworth' decals? I thought Planet X owned the brand and the right to sell decals.
from http://www.hlloydcycles.com/page5.htm
"...we are able to supply the whole Holdsworth decal range, as well as reproduction head badges. This is with the specific agreement of Planet-x who now own the Holdsworth name. Please contact sales (see contacts page) to discuss. your needs We have now uploaded the full Holdsworth range to the pdf listing A-K."

Re:

Thanks, Yes I have seen the range on H Lloyd site. You make an indication for the 70's and 80's down tube decals, but no comment on the years for the other types.

The last set is my 70's era with just the Holdsworth name splashed on the frame..

Pro_cycles78.jpg

Shaun

Yes, there is a whole host of options out there. The 70's seem very square with and without blocks top and bottom of the letter uprights, like AR7 below. But the third option above and the AR9 from H Lloyd are a bit of a halfway house between the 50's and 70's.

I have to say I was thinking of using the just Holdsworth one above, but more I looked I could not see where it fitted in. I guess unless it is 100% std rebuild it doesn't matter that much.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,906
Re:

Either of the first two sets of transfers would be fine for your 58 Monsoon but the third set were later.

You can check out the 58 Holdsworth catalogue on Norman Kilgariff's Holdsworth website. See the link to it on the Classic Lightweights links page.

Hi Dave,

I think H Lloyd's AR9 or fancy script are both reasonable choices.

No doubt you have seen the Classic Lightweights article re classic frame builder WF Holdworth
( http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... worth.html ) In it, Clive Holmes-Dowkes discusses down tube transfers. The fancy curved block letters with W over F, as in your first example, he says were present before the war and lasted until 1955. Re your second example above, the fancy script, the author says was only around for a short time between years '53 to '55.

The less fancy but curved block letters without W/F (H Lloyd's AR9) appears to have come along after '55 and were used into 60's . Thus, AR9 may be most accurate, though I don't have any good late 50's examples. The AR9 is what was on my '65 Typhoon originally and the same font was used on my '68 Claud.

However the Classic Lightweights article makes the point that there was overlap in years with use of down tube decals. Further, Kilgariff has an example on his site of a '57 or '58 Hurricane with the fancy script downtube decal.

So either choice is probably good. Personally I think the fancy script is classic and beautiful.

Maybe there will be other thoughts and good examples come along.

Another idea, at bottom of the C L article there is an example of a 1960 Monsoon with the model name in script lettering on the top tube. http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... 05-220.JPG I know H Lloyds have this font/style of decal (AR11) for the Cyclone model and a couple of years ago while on the phone with the former owner Nick he used this script to make a same style decal for my '51 Sirocco and I might add - at a very reasonable price. Perhaps Steve would do the same.

Doug

Thanks that is helpful, I have already got the Monsoon top tube made up by H Lloyds, as always they were very helpful. Yes, I might go with the AR9 as I prefer this myself. it is difficult to tell what was fitted and did wonder if there was some overlapping.

Thanks again for the advise.

Back