HELP with rear shock bushings/fitting sizes - replacing old

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
I am in a spot of bother, I have a RST 22a rear shock currently fitted onto my bike with following dimensions of the top and bottom parts.

(sizes are approx as I have no accurate caliper and just using a tape measure)

width of top inc bushes = 31mm
width of bottom inc bushes = 22mm
bolt diameter = 6mm

However my Rock Shox Monarch 4.2 (2010 model bought from CRC) has different sized ends. The size of the shock is the same (165x3:cool:

Would the Rock Shox Rear Shock Mount Hardware 1/2"x 1/2" be the thing to go for to replace the bits in the RS Monarch to fit the required size?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54654

I called http://www.tftunedshox.com/ and they said they can't help me as Rock Shox Monarch I have do not have a standard size - I have no idea about what he was saying to be honest.

My RS Monarch are the same ones as these;
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=53319

Is it possible to replace the bushings to the correct size required (as my RST shock)

The guy at tftunedshox said i should return the RS for a refund and get a more modern shock.

Is it possible to fit the RS onto my RSP bike? And rid myself of the heavy RST 22a?

Or is there an alternative shock I could buy?

You'll have similar issues with any replacement shock. You just need whichever spacer kit brings the total width up to the distance between the plates on the frame. You'll need to measure properly accurately, though. I _think_ those CRC ones are right, although RockShox did change the size of the mounting eyelets at some point. I have a feeling that that was a long time ago, though.

MikeD":8mkabj74 said:
You'll have similar issues with any replacement shock. You just need whichever spacer kit brings the total width up to the distance between the plates on the frame. You'll need to measure properly accurately, though. I _think_ those CRC ones are right, although RockShox did change the size of the mounting eyelets at some point. I have a feeling that that was a long time ago, though.

Thanks man, which CRC ones should be ok?

The ones you linked to :) Choose the ones that are the right width for your frame and have a 6mm hole. None of them seem to exactly match your initial measurement, so you might need to remeasure to be sure.

I want to relpace an RS Monarch by a DT Swiss shock .... and since there is no standard the eyelet diamater nor thickness, need a set of adapters GGGRRRrrrrrrrr :twisted: ... ordered from 24bikes in Germany as were not in stock at CRC.

you need to measure the adapters accurately than with a tape measure,

Well, I managed to order the correct sizes from CRC!
Which have arrived today.
They look to be spot on right size.
Pulling out the old standard hardware from the eyelets in the RS Monarch was easy.
It should not be a problem getting the new hardware in.

(Fool Fool me, the old ones were NOT threaded internally! - and I thought they were)

Anyway, the shock fits both ends flush inside the top and bottom parts of the pivot swing arm thing on the frame.

I put the bolts through, and one side of each bolt has a Nyloc type nut.
Which doesn't screw on tight and flush - leaving a gap which means the shocks aren't secure - now I need to sort this problem.
new bolts perhaps?
Or am I missing a washer or two? Or have done something wrong??

It doesn't make sense, as the shock plus hardware at both ends is EXACTLY the same size as the old shocks hardware which fit inside thepivot arm things on the frame the same way - but the bolts tightened well and secure enough when the old one was fitted.

This is driving me NUTS!

Back