Help with a hub

Nieky

Dirt Disciple
I have the below hub which I am trying to identify. It is stamped as Maillard 20 83 Made in France, and has two fixed sprockets. I have located an old Maillard catalogue but not sure how to identify from that. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cups are in good shape, cones need a bit of TLC.

A2A3A5FB-B642-4546-8961-3BB6B2AACDFD.jpeg 3FC62EB2-9F7C-4DCD-8BED-44B6FCA87312.jpeg 13E89998-0D4B-4D3A-A065-73DEA4BC8948.jpeg 2034AB69-240C-4C80-88DC-823236057054.jpeg

You'll find those hubs under all sorts of names - and unmarked too.
Normandy
Spidel
Maillard
Atom
Excelto
Milremo
LeTour
Sachs
to name a few.
I think they were usually known as 'sport' when they came direct from Mailiard, sometimes as 400 or 600 (can't remember which). They would polish up to a nice bright satin sheen but weren't a touch on the almost mirror finish of the 700 series hubs as supplied.

You'll find those hubs under all sorts of names - and unmarked too.
Normandy
Spidel
Maillard
Atom
Excelto
Milremo
LeTour
Sachs
to name a few.
I think they were usually known as 'sport' when they came direct from Mailiard, sometimes as 400 or 600 (can't remember which). They would polish up to a nice bright satin sheen but weren't a touch on the almost mirror finish of the 700 series hubs as supplied.

Thanks, that is helpful. It cleaned up nicely, and the rim (Wilber Super Champion Modele 58 ) is in good Nick, so hopefully I can make use of it. Not sure what riding a double fixed is like though… I guess it would make for a 2 gear setup, but the practicality of swapping your rear wheel around at the bottom of a hill escapes me!

Yes, that is what I am thinking of doing. With all the hills around here I don't fancy riding fixed. Now to find a sensible 120mm OLD 5 speed rear wheel. Any clues as to look out for? I am a bit worried about not being able to inspect cup/cone before purchase...

Just been pottering in my garage and in a box of bits'n'bobs was an unbranded front hub of the same design. Metal dust caps and most likely from the late 1970s/early 1980s.

Latest posts

Back