Help to ID this warranty replacement Claud Butler frame?

Oli.Hall

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I have (/had?) a Claud Butler mountain bike from c.1997.

The original Claud Butler frame was a rigid frame in chrome silver and it cracked and was replaced under warranty by my LBS who was a Claud Butler dealer.
The LBS replaced the frame and I am not sure whether the replacement frame is even a Claud Butler Frame as it has no decals or other marks on it and at the time I was a kid and didn't know any better! (The Rock Shox were added some years later after the original rigid forks were bent in a crash.)

Does anyone have any idea what the current frame is?
Does anyone have any idea based on the wheels/groupset/stem/bars/saddle what the original Claud Butler bike would have been?

It has the following components:
Shimano STX RC under bar shifters (8 speed)
Vuelta Air Line I rims
Shimano STX RX hubs, with Shimano QR and 7 speed HG cassette
Shimano HG Triple Chainset
V-Brakes
Tioga Saddle
Frame size 56cm/22"

Once I work out what it is, then I will be moving this to the 'How much is my XYZ worth?' forum.

Kind regards,
Oli.

Attachments

• IMG_9637.JPG
    IMG_9637.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_9640.JPG
    IMG_9640.JPG
    422.2 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_9641.JPG
    IMG_9641.JPG
    383.6 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_9630.JPG
    IMG_9630.JPG
    732.3 KB · Views: 248
Difficult to say if it is a Claud, as that looks like one of the generic Cro-mo frames shipped in from the Far East. So could have been badged as a Falcon, Holdsworth or a Claud.
If it is a Claud my money would be Mid-range 1998 Cro-mo frame. Either the Virago, Urraco or Enduro. Take your pick as they all used the same frame.
Click on my catalogue links below for more info...
NB only had a quick look on my phone so could easily be wrong.

Attachments

• 223257E8-EA25-4F3D-A70B-93DBD1ED048B.jpeg
    223257E8-EA25-4F3D-A70B-93DBD1ED048B.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 232
Just looked on my big screen, rear drop outs are different. Sorry, I don't know what it is.

Re:

Thank you Peachy!

I had a look at your catalogues, they were a good blast from the past!
I think my original bike might possibly be from 1999 as the STR-XC MC41 shifters were not out until then.
It’s a shame they didn’t replace the frame with a like for like frame as the original one was chrome silver like a Carabo or a Rock!

I might put it in the for sale section and see if anyone is interested in it.
Thank you for all your advice!

Kind regards,
Oli.

Re: Re:

Oli.Hall":3vn3hzla said:
Thank you Peachy!

I had a look at your catalogues, they were a good blast from the past!
I think my original bike might possibly be from 1999 as the STR-XC MC41 shifters were not out until then.
It’s a shame they didn’t replace the frame with a like for like frame as the original one was chrome silver like a Carabo or a Rock!

I might put it in the for sale section and see if anyone is interested in it.
Thank you for all your advice!

Kind regards,
Oli.

Hello Oli, just seen it pop up on e-bay. good luck with your sale, BTH unfortunately you might have a better chance of making your asking price by stripping and selling the parts separately.

Re:

Hi,

Thank you to Peachy! and The History Man for helping me to identify this frame.
I am still unsure of the year, but I believe that the frame is a Claud Butler Pinelake.
Here is a picture of a different bike that I found with the decals on.

For anyone who is interested, I gave the bike a thorough deep clean and a lubrication & adjustment service and it sold on eBay for £130.

Thanks,
Oli.

Attachments

• Claude-Butler-Pinelake-ATX-1.jpg
    Claude-Butler-Pinelake-ATX-1.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 125
Cool, at least it was a Claud they gave you.... Just had a quick flick through my modern (post 9:cool: catalogues but can’t find it.
Looks like it’s somewhere between 1999 & 2004

Ps, I'd say £130 was a good price, well done.

Back