Help stripping/servicing Magura rim brakes

Timoth27

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all,

So I’ve got a box a Magura bits I’ve gathered over the years and I think there is probably at least 2 sets of brakes but probably only 1 complete brake currently. So my plan is to strip and re spray 2 sets, 1 neon yellow and 1 red. So I’ve got a service kit coming so I can re do the hoses but before I start aimlessly dismantling them is there a service manual or a step by step I can follow. I’ve done a bit of googling but can’t find anything.

Im sure I read on here somewhere about a good alternative to Magura fluid but again my search skills are lacking. Anybody got any recommendations for where and what to get paint wise? Given the current situation it will have to be mail order.

Tia

Tim

Re:

Thanks hamster, I’m guessing 1l (£10) will last me forever but that’s a 1/4 of the price of the Magura stuff.

The key to these is making sure the slave pistons move freely. I remove the pads and clean the surrounding metalwork carfully. Then use the master cylinder to partially push out the pistons then lubricate freely with XCP One and work them via the master cylinder until both moving freely and evenly - If necessary hold one piston in with a thumb while working the other. Then clean off any excess residue before installing.
When mountingthe pistons to the frame, I try to have them perpendicular to the wheel and use a credit card to get adequate / uniform clearance between pad and rim.

Back