help me choose between two fox forks please

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
As you might be able to tell, I'm not too decisive and am now trying to decide whether to swap lowers and paint a crown to create forks for my sts, or buy new. Buying new will still leave me with the lowers to swap (I want to run v brakes you see), but having been looking around online, I'm drawn to a couple of Fox forks, but not sure which would be the better fork, so help would be appreciated (I'm thinking it might be easier to buy a fork that doesn't need the crown painting and just swapping the lowers over).

The forks I keep coming back to are:

Fork 1: Fox Talas 140 (2010).

Fork 2: Fox Float 100 RLC (2012)

The quickest thought is that the 2012 fork is newer so must be better, but is that the case? The forks are destined for use on my STS so I would think 100mm is the limit of travel I'd ever need, so sensible head says the 100 RLCs would be better, as no TALAS to worry about, which I be also read opinions that makes the fork less plush.

So, if you could lay your hands on either for similar money, which would you pick?

Barneyballbags":fqh3sewe said:
Sounds like you've already talked yourself into buying the Float 100s! That's what I'd choose :)
You are right, finger is itching on the trigger, was just after some validation of my decision.

ishaw":261b1gqg said:
Barneyballbags":261b1gqg said:
Sounds like you've already talked yourself into buying the Float 100s! That's what I'd choose :)
You are right, finger is itching on the trigger, was just after some validation of my decision.

The 140s will make the STS way too gangly (they're lanky enough as it is!). 100m travel will balance out nicely with the rear end.

Very true. I was thinking about future reuse, but I'm unlikely to go downhilling so maybe rlc 100s it could be.

Decision made and forks purchased : 2012 Fox Float 100 RLC. Looking forward to getting them now and fitting the fox float shock to the rear of my sts too (been putting it off due to fork dilemma). All I need now is a good set of knees to be able to get out on the bike once finished.

Should I stick to 100mm travel or pop a spacer in to reduce to 90 or 80mm while I'm swapping the lowers over?

Try them at 100mm, you probably won't notice any real difference dropping them by 10-20mm anyway, if you want to then play about with the amount of sag, see how they feel then.

Cheers, looking at how easy it is to swap the lowers, I'll do that first, use them as they come travel wise, and adjust if needed at a layer date.

What are my chances of getting the decals off the lowers in one piece and swapping them over? Any tips?

I have fitted Bomber Z1's in 130mm for my STS, but the idea is to use less spring load so they sag a little more.

Back