Hello! and sorry but, what's it worth! (93 Kona Explosif)

Trustyrusty

Retro Newbie
Hi all, I've popped over here a few times to look and lurk in the past, Mostly at Klein Mantras as one day I will make a nice single speed out of one! But I'm testing the water for my '93 Kona Explosif frame set. I've had it for 10 years or so and while it's been looked after reasonably well it's fair to say it's showing it's age. I've used it as a commuter (year-round, salty roads, all that!) with a view that when i found the time I'd turn it back into a proper pimpy retro bike.

I've got it stripped down to the original parts, which are...Frame and fork (silver to dark met'blue fade, silver project 2, threaded steerer) Control tech? stem, Quill type, canty cable guide, same colour as frame/fork and the headset with the allen collar pinch bolt thingy, and some period risers with spacer shims, can't remember the make as the sticker is long gone! I did have a lovely pair of Pre RS7 Middleburns that came with it, but they didn't last sadly and rounded :(

I will put it all up in the classifieds in the next few days with photo's, but I really don't know what to ask for it. It's a lovely frame, but I've accepted that there's a lot of other stuff i need to do first, and I'm moving towards old motorbikes...If I was being charitable I would say it has a little "patina" but when you see the photos you'll see rust from previous chain suck road grime, only surface stuff, but not pretty. Also, it has a pea sized dent in the top tube that's been there all the time I've owned it, probably from a brake-lever swinging round, easily fixed, but again not pretty...Might also have some 8spd XT thumbies knocking about, so, is anyone interested? and what would be a fair price to start the Kona at please

All the best,

Trustyrusty

Re:

Difficult to say without seeing the pics, obviously, but if it helps, I've just bought a similar age Explosif frame (only) that had been powder coated for just under £70. Original patina will help in some ways with yours! Are the forks triple butted? (Will be stamped TB on the steerer if they are) They may well be if they are original.

Probably you will get more if you sell the other bits individually rather than lumping them together with the frame set, but it's a very tricky market at the moment, stuff just isn't shifting at all. Get us all some pics though!

Anyway, welcome, and good luck with the sale. You will need to put a price of some sort on any ad you put up here in the classified section, or the mod's will come down on you pretty quick, so hopefully someone will come along with a better idea than me once we've seen what it looks like.

Back