Headset recommendations pls

Monkeeee01

Retro Guru
So it seems that Chris Chris 1-1/18th are getting rarer and more expensive so what are other decent headsets for retro 94-97ish build please?

For period correct: threaded, you can't really go wrong with a Shimano cartridge bearing headset they did STX, LX and XT to suit various budgets and they all come up on ebay regularly.
For Threadless, FSA and Dia-Compe or Cane Creek.
If you are not too bothered about period correctness then Tange headsets are good, available in threaded and threadless styles, good quality at a reasonable price and not covered in big shouty logos, so nice and understated and just work.

For period correct: threaded, you can't really go wrong with a Shimano cartridge bearing headset they did STX, LX and XT to suit various budgets and they all come up on ebay regularly.
For Threadless, FSA and Dia-Compe or Cane Creek.
If you are not too bothered about period correctness then Tange headsets are good, available in threaded and threadless styles, good quality at a reasonable price and not covered in big shouty logos, so nice and understated and just work.
Cool, thank you. I’ll keep my eyes on the bay!

Think I’ve had a cane creek before too

Never been a fan of late 80s/early90s XT headsets, the crown races were too soft and prone to premature pitting. Dealt with too many customer bike warranty repairs ! Campag were solid and Tange if you want reliability on a budget.

Another vote for FSA, great long lasting headset for the price.

CK still sell secondhand for the same, sometimes less, than they did 5years or so ago when i used to sell them. Easily worth the little extra investment.

Hello,
French components might not be everyone’s cup of tea, and I can see how they don’t belong on American builds etc, but I personally love Stronglight headsets with needle bearings. Primax (Italian, I think. Also with lovely needle bearings) are also of very good quality but somewhat rarer. I also use FSA headsets on more budget oriented bikes, and they are excellent as far as value is concerned .
Regards

If I’m doing a full resto on a bike and the old one is toast then FSA all the way too as my ‘go to’ brand…
Feel better quality than the cost and work great.

Latest posts

Back