Freehub body bolt

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
It was all going swimmingly until...

...for some reason I'd got it into my head that these are supposed to be "bloody tight, and then some".

...I don't even know why I took it apart - just getting obsessive about cleaning.

546259AD-FB9D-4EFE-9395-969252E50618.jpeg

Ok, so it's broken. I might rob something else, or I might buy a new one. Are they all the same size on Shimano hubs? This is a 7 speed Alivio. Annoyingly I don't think I have any absolutely scrap hubs to rob one from here and now. Cheap enough from SJS assuming they fit but for now progress is halted...

I've got four from four different hubs and they all appear to be the same. One was from an Alivio MC12 7 speed I think. The others were from an LX M565, an LX M570 and the other a Sora 3300. They're about 34 mm in length.

Attachments

• IMG_20220218_165044.jpg
    IMG_20220218_165044.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 5
Don't beat yourself up - I've come across some that cracked through exactly in the same place.
Thanks for saying it - confidence can be a fragile thing! Have ordered a replacement from SJS as I don't want to scrap any of my spare hubs... fingers crossed it'll fit.

IIRC essentially everything up to when we started seeing through axles is cross compatible. And even some (?) of the newer hubs still have the same bolt. (Not needed to strip down any T-A hubs yet to check though)
Only exception was some D-A and XTR hubs which weren't compatible according to Shimano. Not sure why, they certainly looked the same. But never tried to fit or measure them to check.

The std. Length is ~34mm but there is a longer length from memory its about 3mm longer when I rebuilt my spinergys the thread had gone in the hub so I wanted the longest bolt possible to fit an adaptor. No idea why there is a longer length.

Latest posts

Back