Fat Chance Serial nr identifying

dresdladiory

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys
How can I identifying a year of production and model of my Fat Chance frame by serial nr , which is : 13789W0 colour black.
Thanks for your help

Attachments

• fat1.JPG
    fat1.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 468
  • fat.JPG
    fat.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 468
That doesn’t look right... Typically the first 3/4 #s from this era are the frame number. Then you get a letter to designate model. Last digit of the year, then finally the last digit or letter of the size.

I’d say it’s either an 89 20 inch Wicked, or a 90 19 inch Wicked and something got transposed.

mainlyfats":2xs6cov3 said:
That doesn’t look right... Typically the first 3/4 #s from this era are the frame number. Then you get a letter to designate model. Last digit of the year, then finally the last digit or letter of the size.

I’d say it’s either an 89 20 inch Wicked, or a 90 19 inch Wicked and something got transposed.

Hi
I found on the list here: http://mombatbicycles.com/MOMBAT/BikeHi ... hance.html
very similar number with 0 at the end and it's mean 1990 Wicked (short torso) 16" 13919W0 but mine is probably from 89'' as the number says ....I think so...
If short torso mean short top tube than all right because mine is 51 cm .
What do you think ?
Thanks fo your help

Re:

I think the MOMBAT serial number analysis is wrong. FCC serial numbers are rational and that one doesn’t indicate 16 inch, 1990 or the special designation of “short torso” ( which I’ve never heard of in relation to Fats).

Now that I know it’s a 20 inch, I’d confidently decode your bike to be a 1989 Wicked. They smoked a lot of weed at FFC, housekeeping mistakes were made.

Re: Re:

mainlyfats":hfmashoi said:
I think the MOMBAT serial number analysis is wrong. FCC serial numbers are rational and that one doesn’t indicate 16 inch, 1990 or the special designation of “short torso” ( which I’ve never heard of in relation to Fats).

Now that I know it’s a 20 inch, I’d confidently decode your bike to be a 1989 Wicked. They smoked a lot of weed at FFC, housekeeping mistakes were made.

The Wicked and Yo were available in an ST for 1991 / 1992 if you look at the catalogue in the archive you can see it makes reference to it

I thought my M/S Yo was a ST but it looks like FC just got the letters the wrong way round - should have been S/M but they went M/S

Re: Re:

boxxer":2z5n871m said:
mainlyfats":2z5n871m said:

The Wicked and Yo were available in an ST for 1991 / 1992 if you look at the catalogue in the archive you can see it makes reference to it

I thought my M/S Yo was a ST but it looks like FC just got the letters the wrong way round - should have been S/M but they went M/S

Only one or two short bikes - identified as such - have come up on Fatcogs over the years and I must admit, I thought 1. they were only available in smaller sizes and 2. that if it was regular production it was a Yo exclusive (the Betty comes to mind). Thanks for your suggestion to check out the catalogue from 1992 (91 missing from the archive, so if you have it, send it in).

The trip to the catalogue also reminded me that FCC didn’t make a 20”, so depending on whether OP’s measurement is C-C or C-T, it is either a 21” or 19.5”. So, 1990 19.5”?

Re:

It could be ‘stoned stamping’ but it looks like a 19.5” Wicked made in 1990 to me. Great riding bikes. Some of the first gen Yos had different serial number sequencing to later variants.

Back