Falcon 1974 seat tube decals to be identified

Mandobob

VCC Falcon ME
Can anyone tell me which precise decals are used in the photos in the 1974 Falcon catalogue on the seat tube? It looks like there is a background contrast colour panel - same colour as the head tube - but which decals were used on it in 1974? I can't see enough detail from the catalogue pictures for the Olympic or San Remo model 92, which look similar, and there seem to be more bands than the H Lloyd decal.

Photos from american refurbishments just show a single decal mid tube which is not right.

Any bright ideas?

Which particular bike are you thinking about?

Falcon generally put on what decals they had lying around, After the "I'm Backing Britain" campaign lots of union flags appeared in decals, eventually making their way to Falcon. Imichrone decals were also a bit hit and miss lol. Back then it was common to find Falcon on a white background for the top and down tube with a Falcon on a white background plus a couple of bands either side in red or blue.........plus the obligatory Union flag.

Thanks for the reply. Their way with decals seems similar to their approach to fitting components which changed depending on what was available. I guess the large numbers produced for the 1971-73 export drive to the USA fuelled that approach too.

I was looking at the 1973 Model 78 Olympic. There is a Reynolds 531 decal at the top but it is unclear what is below.

Yup, opening a wrapped up Falcon was like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates..... You never know what you are going to get lol. We sold them in the bike shop I worked in during the 70's lol. Their frame numbering system was just a random set of digits!

If it's a bruchure pic then under the 531 transfer there is likely a decal that says "hand made in Britain by Falcon" etc.

The only consistent decal set was for the cheaper Merckx bikes. Instead of buying the rights to the name, Falcon bought a given number of sets of decals to use, reportedly for a massive fee. That's all they had. Mind you they often got the pink and yellow bands on the seat tube the wrong way round.

The pink decal was useful, I used it as the colour guide for my new San Remo from them mid 70's

a4bzt3-jpg-jpg.395435

The San Remo is the bike in my Avatar, pic from Spout Hill Climb in the 70's (Brantingham), when I rode for Hull Thursday. Made as a Falcon Team frame but taken by Billy Holmes and finished in pink for me. Companion to my TT bike, the Jackson in front. Both keepers :)

Ah, I fully understand. Really nice bike though. You should be using it! What happened to all the components?

I dismantled my bikes for storage / moving around in the early 80's. I have all the bits plus a bit more. For some strange reason I can't find my 70's drillium seat post and a Campag large flange front wheel.... Must have lost it in the multiple house moves, :(

Back