Ex Once Giant TCR frame - any details?

Retro Dan

Devout Dirtbag
Hi Guys,
I`m pretty sure there are some other forum members how have posted here about Giant TCR`s.

On the list of +1`s I have was a genuine ONCE Team bike - not because of the riders or the team, but that black and yellow thing just lloks awesome and I do love a team bike. There are, of course, thousands upon thousands of ex team bikes out there, all genuine.... really....

So this frame came up last year on ebay and I ummed and ahhed, then it went off the listings, came back a few weeks ago and went for it, a deal was done.

Its an ex ONCE team bike TT configuration (I believe the same frame were used for both road and TT?), meant to be from the 04/05 season, repainted in Liberty Seguros colours (ONCE became Liberty Seguros in `05 before becoming the current Moviestar). Apparently BH supplied the road bikes but had no TT bikes, so the ONCE frames were repainted. Looking at the paint, its a real pro job, logo`s are masked and sprayed as opposed to decals, there is, however, the odd bit of yellow popping through a few stone chips, plus original ONCE stickers on the seat tube.

Questions - were these frames originally anodised (being ally) or painted?
- Also, thought that from `04 TCR`s were carbon - this ones definatly ally with carbon fork, so would make it `03?

Plan is to strip all that lovely paint off, then go for either the all yellow configuration or the black/yellow - not sure which yet. Have a full campy 10 speed TT set up to go there along with some head tri spokes (almost went for period correct mavic g3 but they really don`t have a braking surface and I don`t want to die...).

Thoughts please, Dan.

tcr.jpg

Personally I'd keep the paint as-is. I tihnk it tells far more of the story of the team than trying to turn back the clock.

Rebadging frames is all part of pro-team games - Armstrong used a Litespeed fir his TT bike for a long while, painted up into Trek/USPS colours for example. Considering how much ONCE were obsessed with technical details, it may well be a special frame build anyway and neither an 03 or an 04 as such. Especially if they wanted some very specific features, it would be slow and costly to make carbon fibre moulds specially.

Back