** Enigma Ebay…. 😂 **

And yet there seem to be plenty of Hei Hei's that are 30 years old and still going strong

Can’t imagine many Hei Hei’s are anywhere near 40k miles or similar hours usage though.

I bet most are hung on walls and ridden sparingly for the last 20 of those years.

Reactions: CTK
very likely, though I assume they would have had a hard life on the trails at some point. I also thought titanium had a high fatigue life so are failures all due to the manufacturing process I wonder. Is it common for a tube to fail or is it more common that failure occurs at / near a welded joint. I have a titanium lynskey road bike and tbh, the life / strength of the carbon forks worry me more than the frame

However, going back to the original theme of the Enigma, they really should have just given him another frame rather than welding the crack and hoping it lasts longer than the remainder of the 10 year warranty

I’ve seen and owned a few old Ti frames with cracks and they vary on location. One was split on the centre of a tube and others on welds.

Enigma have probably suffered more damage to their reputation than the £600 they requested. Sometimes in business you just have to take a hit for the greater good which they don’t seem to have grasped. I’m guessing they will never know how much it’s truly cost them but it would certainly make me think twice about buying another if this is what can happen if the frame cracks. Fingers crossed it doesn’t.

I suppose I'd better go and check my kinesis tripster for cracks. That doesn't get cossetted at all.

Not that if makes a real difference, the warranty was only three years...

Im sure Enigma even marketed their bikes as “bikes for life” at one point too.

How does one define a hard life for a road/gravel bike?

As there is limits to how it can be ridden so is it mileage related , how it’s cared for , or crashed etc.

To me , bikes are meant to be ridden. I chose not to ride some retro stuff either because it’s awful or is NOS etc. but modern stuff gets used as much as I can. I clean , strip and lube them more than needed but I also put plenty of miles on them.

Good to see you are still fighting the good fight. The Hitler video is one of the better ones!

As a result of this thread, I'd never buy an enigma frame so job done.

Latest posts

Back