eBay Global Shipping Programme flaws...

sjcprojects

Orange 🍊 Fan
After some eBay woes due to the Global Shipping Programme, I just thought I'd point out a few flaws with it in case others use it and have found a way round it or had the same issue...

Basically, it would seem that if someone buy multiple items, there's no way to combine postage costs - eBay just adds the same postage cost for each item (which as a seller you have no control over). I just had someone in the US buy 9 small items, and postage was £120. I ended up having to cancel the orders and relist.

I'm actually a fan of the Global Shipping Programme because it does, as intended, solve all the post-Brexit customs issues (I'm still waiting for those sunlit uplands we were promised...) - but it seems to be a bit of a blunt tool. It's worked very well for some sales to the EU, I have to say - but I also had another person in Australia say that eBay was quoting £45 postage for a very small item, so however eBay is calculating costs is obviously very askew at times.

So use with caution, I guess? Am I missing something? I know you can use GSP and also add your own postage options, but I've heard of so many issues posting the the EU I figured using GSP was the safest option.

After some eBay woes due to the Global Shipping Programme, I just thought I'd point out a few flaws with it in case others use it and have found a way round it or had the same issue...

Basically, it would seem that if someone buy multiple items, there's no way to combine postage costs - eBay just adds the same postage cost for each item (which as a seller you have no control over). I just had someone in the US buy 9 small items, and postage was £120. I ended up having to cancel the orders and relist.

I'm actually a fan of the Global Shipping Programme because it does, as intended, solve all the post-Brexit customs issues (I'm still waiting for those sunlit uplands we were promised...) - but it seems to be a bit of a blunt tool. It's worked very well for some sales to the EU, I have to say - but I also had another person in Australia say that eBay was quoting £45 postage for a very small item, so however eBay is calculating costs is obviously very askew at times.

So use with caution, I guess? Am I missing something? I know you can use GSP and also add your own postage options, but I've heard of so many issues posting the the EU I figured using GSP was the safest option.
To my understanding GSP should combine shipping provided they were done in one order, so not bought one after another. But I would say the strength of GSP is merely that it opens you up to other markets, but other than that its not really that efficient. Especially when people buy multiple things, you cannot combine shipping post purchase

Also, I just want to add that in my experience shipping from the EU to the UK isn't that bothersome, and I think it'd be the same the other way around, the problem I've found is that a lot of British sellers tend to use shipping options where they only fill out the one document with price and description, which isn't sufficient in a lot of EU countries. I always have to add 3 copies of separate custom docs which specify quantity, value and material, age etc. Every time I have done that, there's been zero problems. I recommend UPS.

Also, I just want to add that in my experience shipping from the EU to the UK isn't that bothersome, and I think it'd be the same the other way around, the problem I've found is that a lot of British sellers tend to use shipping options where they only fill out the one document with price and description, which isn't sufficient in a lot of EU countries. I always have to add 3 copies of separate custom docs which specify quantity, value and material, age etc. Every time I have done that, there's been zero problems. I recommend UPS.

Thanks for the info. I tend to only sell relatively low value stuff, so it's just not really worth my time to deal with the hassle involved - possibly a bit lazy on my part, but there you go. If I was selling something valuable, I'd probably use someone like UPS, as you say.

It's just a bit frustrating that the GSP actually worked fine for me up until now, when I discovered it has some very obvious flaws...

I lost out once with the GSP, with a purchase from the USA. I didn't lose out financially, and neither did the seller, but item purchased was never seen again by either of us. It was all very odd and I've never used it since

I lost out once with the GSP, with a purchase from the USA. I didn't lose out financially, and neither did the seller, but item purchased was never seen again by either of us. It was all very odd and I've never used it since
GSP is very hit and miss. Their processing rate is incredibly slow, with very little information until the last minute (in my experience), but their protection is rather solid.

I sold one of my San Andreas frames to a US buyer earlier in the year, it made it to the GSP forwarding address in the UK, then into the US but never to the buyer. He got a refund, I kept my payment but the frame is out there somewhere.

I sold one of my San Andreas frames to a US buyer earlier in the year, it made it to the GSP forwarding address in the UK, then into the US but never to the buyer. He got a refund, I kept my payment but the frame is out there somewhere.

My situation was a little different. The seller, without realising it, exceeded the maximum parcel size. Rather than returning the item or charging extra they just kept it. I got a refund and he kept my payment. They confirmed that they had the bike but wouldn't send it to either of us. No idea what they did with it......

Back