Early Independent fabrication identification help

ob1kadrobe

Devout Dirtbag
Hello Hello,

I been looking for an early (1995-6) Indy Fab for quite some time. I have come across this one but the serial number is unidentifiable. But I do see an "IF" stamped on the other side of the BB. This is something I have not seen on Indy Fab bottom brackets. It looks to be a small size (17 inches from bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube) and an early model. But without the serial number I am not sure. So I wanted to see if anyone here could offer their best opinion.

The cable hanger offers some idea of time frame as does the straight seat and chain stays. It also has a 1 inch head tube. But the Reynolds 853 steel and the layout of the cable routing has me a bit confused. I have seen many early Indy Fabs (1997 and earlier) with the cable routing for shifters going under the bottom bracket. This frame has the routing going along the top tube. Additionally, I am not sure when IF started using Reynolds 853 for frames.

I am trying to deduce the year the frame was made. Any and all input will be appreciated.

Attachments

• IndyFab1.jpg
    IndyFab1.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,080
  • IndyFab2.jpg
    IndyFab2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,081
  • IndyFab3.jpg
    IndyFab3.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,072
  • IndyFab4.jpg
    IndyFab4.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 1,081
Re:

We all know that many ex FCC staff formed IF. This looks like a Somerville made Yo in all but name, due to cable routing, canti bridge design etc. Its 1in headset with no serial would give me the impression it was originally an early IF staff bike 95ish onwards. FCC staff were known to leave serial numbers off, weld symbolic logos on and stamp unusual serial codes on BBs that did not follow FCC normal factory serial sequence. It should ride really nice with 853 tubing and Yo geometry.

You may have more luck hitting up ex IF staffers on FB or even Fatcogs. There are a few and they are usually pleased to help.

MP

Re:

Can’t you lift off some more of the chipped paint from the BB, looks like three numbers on the drive side... 150??

Thanks for the info and advice (velfrog). I am in the process of working a deal to purchase it. If I get it I will take the paint off to get the serial number.

M-Power, I know the history with early IF and FFC (as many do and as you mentioned). I had never seen this cable routing layout on early Indy Fabs. Mostly only saw under the downtube/bottom bracket. Read it was IF's way of not being so much like FFC. I know IF also did a lot of custom work in the past, just like today. And I am sure they experimented a bit. I was thinking 1996 the latest.

Early Indy Fabs (1995-96) are fewer and harder to find. Been searching for a while. Thanks again for the info and support. I will let you all know if I score the frame.

This guy ghosted me for a long time. When he finally contacted me he said he was having issues letting it go. I was not able to secure this frame. I might try again in the future.

Looks like my 95 indy. sorry you couldnt score!

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpeg
    IMG_1116.jpeg
    690.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1121.jpeg
    IMG_1121.jpeg
    631.6 KB · Views: 20
it is very similar to your IF. The one above got away from me. The real cool thing about the one I posted it the cable routing is just like the Yo Eddy's. IF was rumored to not use that pattern to keep a separation between Fat Chance and the new Indy Fab. The frame above was pretty rough. But it was an early IF with unique cable routing.

Back