Dura ace front hub - how to...

jimfrandisco

Dirt Disciple
Hello, I have a dura-ace front hub that I want to service/re-grease and then build into a wheel.
Simple enough, but when I take the lock nut and cone out, the axle doesn't want to slide out. There's play in it and nothing solid holding it in place, so assume that there's a washer or a seal that's stopping it sliding right out.
Also, can't work out how to remove the cap that sits immediately above the spoke holes.
I think it's just a case of prising it off and then the same with whatever seal sits on top of the bearings, but before I start forcing anything thought it worth seeing if anyone has experience of the same hub. Cheers!

PXL_20230507_092220623.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230507_092212056.PORTRAIT.jpg

Hi,

I'll first add the caveat that I've never stripped one of these hubs before, but the data sheet below doesn't suggest that there is anything that should stop you just gently tapping it out (this works with later 7900 series hub axles).

The dust cover looks as if it just prises off with a screwdriver judging by the indent shown on the exploded view and in your first image.

Good luck 👍.

Matt

Thanks for sharing that pdf Matt, I'd not seen that one. Does look like I just need to be a bit firmer with it.
You're right about the caps. It does look like they should prise off via that screw driver slot, but they do also seem to be made of cheese when forced, so going to try with with a wider flat edge. Cheers

Back