Daytime running front light recommendations

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm not sure this is the right section for this couldn't think where else to put it... I am looking for a daytime front light for my road bike. There are quite a few options out there but choosing the right one is quite hard. Things I'm looking for:
- daylight visibility from a good distance
- battery life of at least 6 to 8 hours in daylight flash mode
- small and unobtrusive
- to be mounted under the bars or even under the stem, or possibly in front of them. But not above. I don't use an out-front mount
- solid but discreet mounting system. I recently saw a review of one light that used the Garmin mount system, can't remember which one it was though...

Things I don't need:
- huge amounts of nighttime visibility (I already have lights for that)
- crap quality
- huge expense

I quite like the look of lezyne, I think more than anything because they look quite small. The bontrager ion flare also looks like it would fit the bill

Any suggestions?

The Oxford Ultratorch works well for me.

I can second the Lezyne ones! The ones I have look like a simple silver and black tube. I have had them for nearly 5 years they're brilliantly simple :D

I can third Lezyne. I've got some of their lower end ones but they're USB chargeable, battery life still good after 5-ish years of use, no issues whatsoever with them.

Something like a Knog Blinder is pretty good. My only beef with that sort of rechargeable light is that the light itself usually outlives the battery and then all you can do is throw it away. You can’t replace the battery without destroying the light.

Exposure Strada.
Genius.
Run-time countdown display is brilliant, you genuinely know how much time you have left. Turn it down if you're running low on minutes.
Single-button operation initially seems odd, but it's actually very easy. I turn down on climbs, and up onto maximum for singletrack road descents. It is bright enough that oncoming cars dip in advance of seeing you coming.
Daybright mode for daylight is also ace.

It might seem like a lot of money when other lights are available for a tenner. But how much have you paid for a crankset or a fork in the past? And this can genuinely save your life.

Plus NO separate battery pack. I charge via included USB at work if I need to.
And it's a British company staffed by British humans. If you have a problem, phone them up and they help you out! If you have one that's old and frazzled, they can rebuild it for you with a new battery at a sensible cost.

Back