Dawes Super Galaxy Tandem

skysoclear

Retro Newbie
Hi there!

I'm new and have acquired a Dawes Super Galaxy Tandem. Looking to get it back to original spec - so trying to piece together what that is!

Here's what I know so far:
- I think it's around 1988
- I don't know what kind of steel has been used?
- I have an original Shimano Deore front cantilever brake - will source a rear to match
- It has dia-compe break levers. Not sure if this is original?
- It did have an Aria brake (I discovered this last night - so excited!). Not sure what the original brake lever would have been?
- Stronglight cranks
- Shimano Deore front-derailleur looks original
- 3 x 6 speed on the rear cassette
- I'm not sure about gear shifting. It has mounts for downshifts, but I've seen similar bikes with bar end shifters?
- It has a Nitto Technomic stem on the rear. I'm sure it originally had one on the front too
- Looks original Suzue hubs - assuming original rims too.

So my investigation starts:
- What was the original spec?
- Is it a 1988 bike?
- Was it originally matt/semi-sheen black?

What I want to do:
- Find out the original parts and start collecting them off eBay.
- I want to get the frame stripped over winter. There's some rust on the bottom tube around the cable guides which I want to eradicate. There's also a ding in the top tube. Usefully, there's a plentiful supply of Super Galaxy decals, so I'd get a respray. The current paint job is a matt black - not really sure that is original?
- Rebuild the bike and ride into next year!

Finally - this isn't a bike made for two. It's a bike made for four! I'm getting a follow-me device on the rear to accommodate a child's bike and have a bobike rear seat already setup.

Attachments

• Dawes-Super-Galaxy-Tandem-of-Dreams.jpg
    Dawes-Super-Galaxy-Tandem-of-Dreams.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 2,794
Wow - Dawes facebook page has come up trumps! This is a scanned page from their 1989 catalogue which gives a spec sheet - all matching my thoughts.

- Reynolds 531
- Weinmann cantilevers? I have a set of Shimano deore - which is right?
- Think mine has been resprayed. The decals are wrong (should be solid) and the graphite colour listed that I've found in an image on eBay (attached) is dark grey. Was mine graphite grey, blue or racing green?!
- down shifters - definitely down shifters.

Worried now about the tyres I've bought - spec is 28C and I've ordered 37C. Oops! They don't make Michelin Selects anymore, but will go for something more modern for added puncture protection!

Attachments

• dawes2.jpg
    dawes2.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 2,739
  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 2,728
Re:

Nice to see another tandem. And an enthusiastic owner. I am just starting out on tandem ownership, see my signature mystery tandem.

Yours look nice, and much newer than mine....

Dave

I've done nothing to the tandem thus far. I have however found the old spec list. Inspires me to make like new again:

1989 Dawes Super Galaxy (Did tours in Asia in 1990s)
Bar end shifters x 6 speed
Cant brakes DEORE (just match)
pd100 shimano pedals
Nitto Technomic stem
dawes handlebar?
Suzue 40H Sealed bearing hubs, rear has been rebuilt to a Velocity Dyad rim?
Blackburn racks
bottom bracket bottle dynamo included with front and rear lights, but not fitted.

History
——
This tandem is very well kept, fully restored and gets compliments from everybody. It's a touch small for me, but I have made it work and would keep it if I didn't have debts to pay.

I was told by somebody who looked extensively into buying a tandem during the mid/late 80s that the Super Galaxy was the best of the production tandems made, only bettered by custom made bikes of the time. This one was probably originally shipped over from England, and is in good condition for its age - Paint is good apart from a few nicks and chips consistent with light use, and a tiny in-the-right-light dent somewhere, I've forgotten where.

Captain measures 58cm C-C top tube, and 55cm C-C set tube, or 58.5cm C-T.
Rear measures 60cm C-C top tube, 53cm C-C seat tube, or 55cm C-T. The reach is actually quite short due to stoker stem reducing rather than increasing reach, 60cm was longest tube set made by Reynolds. It's more like a 53cm TT on a conventional frame.

Bike has been completely stripped and rebuilt, including the removal of the eccentric bottom bracket. New Shimano tandem cables fitted throughout, with brass cable ends, and new drive chain fitted. Selling with original Shimano PD100 touring pedals on front and generic double sided MTB pedals on back.

Full Reynolds 531 Tandem tubing, rack and fender eyelets front and rear plus mid fork eyelets on front. Three bottle cage mounts. Original Aria Tandem drum brake.

Stronglight and Deore 3x6 indexed group set with bar end shifters. I have a spare set of matching conventional Stronglight cranks with triple chainrings as spares to include.

Suntour ratcheting MTB thumbie mounted on the stem controls the Aria rear drum brake.

Original Dawes (GB) handlebars and Nitto Technomic stem, with Cane Creek SRC-5 brake levers on front, and matching stoker dummy levers on rear. Original Shimano canti brakes with Kool Stop salmon pads give sufficient braking power.

Suzue 40H Sealed bearing hubs, rear has been rebuilt to a Velocity Dyad rim. 32c Vittoria Randonneur tyres.

Original Blackburn racks front and rear, working bottom bracket bottle dynamo included with front and rear lights, but not fitted.

Brooks leather bar tape on front. Selle Italia Anatomica touring saddles and generic 27.2 silver seat posts.

Can also include a set of Honjo aluminium fenders that have been shaped and fitted for the bike for an extra $40.

Local pick up only, unless you can organise some sort of way to freight the bike. Send me a PM if you'd like to check it out.

Buy

Decals: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-Super-G ... xyXDhSelfw
Crankset: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Shima ... Sw~oFXJd9D
Brakes: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-DEORE ... SwKfVXGRHJ

Deore:
Rear Derailleur: RD-MT60, 6speed SIS compatible, Centeron Pulley, silver painted body with Shimano Deore black lettering
Shifting Levers: SL-MT60 6 speed SIS compatible, SIS/friction option, stamped steel clamp.
Front Chain ring and Bottom Bracket: FC-MT60 and BB-MT60, Biopace (yellow decal) chain rings, light alloy anodized finish, 48/50 outer, 38/44 middle and 28 inner ring, 170/175 lengths, cups available in English (68 x 117.5 or 122.5) , 74/110 BCD
Free hub: FH-MT60-NT (nutted), FH-MT60-QR (quick release) and HB-MT60-F (front), 6 speed SIS compatible, OLD rear 126 or 130, 36 hole, 13-16 tooth outer threaded, 14-26, 28, 30, 32 splined cogs
Front derailleur: FD-MT60, trailing action mechanism, available in Alpine (AL) or Half-Step (HS) versions, band type for 28 - 28.6 and endless clamp (EC) type for 31.8
Pedals: PD-MT60, low profile parallelogram shape, contact type seals
Head Parts: HP-MT60 available in English/Italian threading, rubber upper cup for easy maintenance
Brake Levers: BL-MT60, 4 position lever reach adjustment, 4 finger size, silver lever
Brakes: BR-MT60 cantilever (silver finish), sealed internal spring, low profile brake pad, spring tension adjuster, easy cable adjuster with round straddle carrier that redirects the brake cable BR-MT61, U brake with new Shark Tooth anti-jam device, silver

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

https://ibb.co/fHJi96

Not original but I rebuild it for a 200 km brevet with my 14 years old daughter.
It was fun, enjoy the tandem
Sold it (after the 200 km brevet) she wants to it solo next time

Back