Dawes Discovery 401 freehub

VintageBates

Retro Newbie
Hi, I 'm new to the forum. Returned to cycling a couple of years ago after a long absence. I used to ride a Saracen touring bike but recently bought a S/H Dawes Discovery 401 (approx £45.00!) for general use on and off road. I had to clean it up and redo axle bearings with new balls, plus new tyres and tubes (parts cost more than the bike!) But it's been running smoothly until the recent cold weather.

The freewheel hub has started to slip, presumably because old grease is sticky when cold and stopping ghe hub engaging. I'm looking to replace the freehub but hit a snag after buying what I thought was the right part based on the wheel hub number. I took the old freehub off to find it has male type dogs facing out; the part I bought looks identical except it has female type dogs to engage in male dogs on the wheel hub.

Can anybody point me in the direction of the correct freehub? Local suppliers don't stock one and hadn't seen one like mine. Any help gratefully received.

Attachments

• 20240113_123906.jpg
    20240113_123906.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240113_123849.jpg
    20240113_123849.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 3
Coming back on this one after obtaining the correct part from BikeParts.com - it turned out to be a fairly easy fix once the cassette was off. I serviced the hub bearings at the same time and even managed to sell the "wrong" freewheel hub on Ebay. Back on the road and tracks!

Coming back on this one after obtaining the correct part from BikeParts.com
Have you got a link to the freehub you bought? I’ve got a wheel which is missing its freehub and the fitting looks just like your one, rather than the usual male fitting on the hub side.

This just reminded me I need to do something about it!

Last edited:
Back