Dave Cullinan's 92 Iron Horse FS Works

rumpfy

BoTY Winner
Hey all -

I've got a unique bike for sale. Its one that I'm just not riding and as much as I love it, I don't have space for bikes that sit.

That being said, this is Dave Cullinan's 1992 Iron Horse FS Works. Not a replica, not a clone. It was pulled from a backyard in Southern California and as best I can tell, nearly all original. I replaced the XTR shifters and saddle which were wasted. The crown on the fork was cracked so I replaced it with something close (but the original is included if you want).
I pulled the bike apart and greased and lubed everything, new cables (original housing). Everything works, though both shocks need a rebuild.

Interesting features include ATAC modified stem (basically cable guide shaved off), custom wide 9* Answer bars (super faded, but you can see where the number plate zip ties were), special Tioga Psycho tires with beefed up side walls, FD won't let you get to the little ring as the frame gets in the way...but on a downhill bike, when are you going to use a little ring. ;)

While I can't confirm it is THE bike he won the 92 Worlds on, I'm 99% sure this is the bike featured in MBAction. Take a look in the Flickr album below for all the pics as well as a few reference scans.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm looking to get $2000 USD or best offer and I'm happy to ship international. I'm pretty sure I can get a deal to have FedEx ship for around or under $200 USD (tracked and insured).

Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9868000@N07/sets/72157626579676742/

5656264016_941bc85c0f_o.jpg

5655689179_9d9e9599f5_o.jpg

sorry for a pointless post but wow, that looks amazing. that bar looks really comfortable too.

good luck with the sale

lewis1641":gsuv8r7w said:
sorry for a pointless post but wow, that looks amazing

Yeah, me too, but...

WoW!

Is this the very bike that flew between the cable cars to win the Worlds, surely not...? :shock: :shock: :shock:

elPedro666":2c654nyg said:
Is this the very bike that flew between the cable cars to win the Worlds?

I always a laugh when people retell that fable. The pics in the mags were an optical illusion (and Cully's "embellishment" in the subsequent interview didn't help). I've hit the bridge enough times to know you'd have to be 8 feet tall, and preload the suspension significantly at far too fast an approach speed (not optimum flight for that jump in a race) to even get anywhere close to hitting one of the returning chairs. It makes good copy, though.

bridge2.jpg

A friend of mine clipped the backside of the top During a Canada Cup race and endo'd into the tree in the bottom pic, breaking his back. That was a long day.

elPedro666":36pb0jjy said:
lewis1641":36pb0jjy said:
sorry for a pointless post but wow, that looks amazing
Is this the very bike that flew between the cable cars to win the Worlds, surely not...? :shock: :shock: :shock:

The only pic I've seen is this one, and I can't confirm that its the same bike.

5655692171_2359e24b56_o.jpg

It is this bike though:

5656459730_15d4d01161_o.jpg

5656459770_fa05a761f1_o.jpg

erkan":2sxh71pn said:
Was it stolen from the backyard?

Haha, no. I bought it from a Craigslist ad. The bike was left outside for a while based on the fading and surface rust on the chain. Not stolen that I know of.

wow, that is quite amazing. does it still have the custom fabricated tnt 11t rear sprocket on it?

at the 96 worlds after party in cairns i asked cully about that chair lift story...we both had quite a few beers....but he did indicate that it was talked up in the media more than what the actuality of the evnt was...

none the less, it was a historic event his win back then.

look at that bike! its amazing to think that little travel was considered a 'DH' bike... :LOL:

Back