Dad can we build a guitar?

doctorstewie":3h4g9368 said:
That is a work of art. Did you design it from the ground up?

Everything was from ground up. No manuals or googling. Kept us on ours toes and was good for discussing ideas on how to progress. Down side was that we probably 'reinvented the wheel many times over'. However it was an enjoyable experience to do so. Our only compromise on the project was to get a pre-slotted fingerboard, which we probably still think was the right decision for a first build.

By far the most complex bit of design, marking out, cutting etc was the neck to body junction. It still baffles us as to how we did it.

Re:

Chose to run in some fret markers from the side rather than the traditional location in the middle of the fingerboard.

Dry set the frets, rather than glue. Did have some loose frets that required some glue.

Binding was difficult to bend around the tightest corner. Our bending iron was a paint striping hot air gun, heating up a copper pipe.

Attachments

• fretting.jpg
    fretting.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,980
  • fingerboard.jpg
    fingerboard.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,980
  • binding.jpg
    binding.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,980
Re:

Reminds me of the story Brian May tells of how he and his Dad built the Red Special :xmas-big-grin:

Nice work :xmas-wink:

Brilliant work there and some good father/son bonding time. Can't wait for my little lad the able to help me. He tries now but at 2 years old he's more a hindrance than a help but he tries bless him.

Back