Crank Brothers Eggbeater Pedals

PeterPerfect

Senior Retro Guru
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/224180169106?c ... mcQAvD_BwE

So, I have pair of these that came with the Merlin MTB I recently bought.

They spin lovely but I haven't a clue about them. They come with the cleats and some other bits and bobs that I've got no idea about.

Always used flats myself (Current pedals are Shimano Saints - Very good they are as well).

Are they worth selling and if so, any idea about dating them ? i.e pre or post 1997.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The link is for the ones I've got. It's the only image/link I could find that exactly matched mine.

Many thanks.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

they are the base model from about 2005ish, when egg beathers came out i was fully on board with them, most were fitted using an allan key from the back side of the crank arm, the 15mm spanner flats is the give away that they are the cheaper version £45ish at retail if memory serves.

i have mixed opinions on them these days, the cleats used to wear very quickly, i didn't notice how quick until it caused a knee issue, basically they wore on the outside of the cleat, my knee then compensated for the tipping of my foot so then my knee wasn't pedaling straight if that makes sense.

also i had the triple titanium versions £300 at retail, they had a weight limit, i was not under that limit, i didn't know they had a weight limit until the axle snapped and nearly chucked me under the wheels of a van on a busy road!

i still run a pair on a couple of my road bikes, although they are called the quattro versions, they have a bit of a platform but overall i'm back to being an SPD rider

Re:

As above, early versions. I like them myself, have a couple of the newer 3 versions, also run mallet 3s as they have a platform and quattro road versions too.

The reason I use them is due to knee issues and depending on the cleat orientation you getb5 or 15 degrees of float.

Premium cleats last longer.

They develop play pretty quickly, certainly the older versions as they have a plastic bush at one end. Rebuild kits are available. Plastic access screw is often a pain to get out without ruining but rebuilt kits tend to come with alloy replacement.

Back