Cook Bros Racing Crank Hierarchy/ID

Ocky

Dirt Disciple
Just curious as I've been going down a rabbit hole on Cook Bros, what was the hierarchy for the Cook Bros crank line--RSR at the top, then CBR, then "E" type? I tried to reference BikePro but they only had the "then" price of the "E" Type and not the RSRs and the CBRs. Pretty sure these pictured are "E" type as they definitely arent RSRs or CBRs. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 6.41.53 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 6.41.53 AM.png
    925.6 KB · Views: 23
The Original CBR cranks were nicknamed "Dog Bones" and came out in late 1981/ early 1982. Cook Bros did not make their own spyder at the time so most of the BMX'rs used a steel spyder made by Tange ( I think). So once the klunker fad started, Phil Wood made a CNC Milled aluminum spyder to fit the cranks and that was the "top shelf" set up. Craig Cook made a few prototypes spyders to fit triple TA rings but they were VERY rare (like maybe a handful of them). Then in early 1983 when the new owner of CBR took over, he designed, programed, and milled their own spyders both for single rings and triple Mt. Bike rings (though very rare at that time). Before the new owner took over, CBR had bought a small CNC machine... But no one in the company knew how to program or run it due to Craig Cook parting ways from his brother (in disgust).

Then 2 or 3 years later the RSR was developed (named after the classic Porsche RSR race cars with Porsche's permission). The RSR had a smaller pedal ball, with slots running down their back sides and one of the spyder arms behind the crank arm.

I'll continue this definition of the different CBR crank arms when I have some spare time.

Not a hierarchy as you've originally suggested, more a timeline.
Original dogbones, the CBR first. BMX, then mountain bikes. Engraving font evolved as did colours.
Then the RSR, as suggested, milled out backs. One of the chainring spider arms is now in line with the crank. Spider essentially not removable. PCH road version available.
Then the e-crank. Exchangeable spider, compact 94, MTB 110 and road 130. The arms are all themselves the same, so all take a compact granny ring, and the granny ring holds on the spider.
E2 uses a different spider, a fully machined spider, bespoke for ring pattern, and held on by a lockring
F uses the e2 spider on a flatter forged arm.

The Original CBR cranks were nicknamed "Dog Bones" and came out in late 1981/ early 1982. Cook Bros did not make their own spyder at the time so most of the BMX'rs used a steel spyder made by Tange ( I think). So once the klunker fad started, Phil Wood made a CNC Milled aluminum spyder to fit the cranks and that was the "top shelf" set up. Craig Cook made a few prototypes spyders to fit triple TA rings but they were VERY rare (like maybe a handful of them). Then in early 1983 when the new owner of CBR took over, he designed, programed, and milled their own spyders both for single rings and triple Mt. Bike rings (though very rare at that time). Before the new owner took over, CBR had bought a small CNC machine... But no one in the company knew how to program or run it due to Craig Cook parting ways from his brother (in disgust).

Then 2 or 3 years later the RSR was developed (named after the classic Porsche RSR race cars with Porsche's permission). The RSR had a smaller pedal ball, with slots running down their back sides and one of the spyder arms behind the crank arm.

I'll continue this definition of the different CBR crank arms when I have some spare time.
This is super helpful - I do hope you continue it! Thank you -

Anyone knows the years that CBR Type-F cranks were offered? I know they came to the market by 1997 but I don'y know until when they're offered and what's came next to them.

Appreciate any help on this.

Back