Confused by GT Avalanche seat post

rmwesley

Retro Guru
Just picked up a nice '98 GT Avalanche but I'm confused by what is going on with the 27.2mm seat post.

The post and saddle clamp have parted company and were only held together by friction from a cardboard shim which was stuffed into the post.

I'm probably being an idiot, but are these two mismatched parts cobbled together? I assume the saddle clamp normally gets whacked into the seat post with the intention it remains there permanently.

Cheers, Richard

20220307_131355.jpg

20220307_131415.jpg

20220307_131433.jpg

Looks like a few interference fit ridges we're part of the cast clamp part and age and stresses have made them loose. Clean up and use a suitable bonding agent, like Loctite weld epoxy.

Looks like a few interference fit ridges we're part of the cast clamp part and age and stresses have made them loose. Clean up and use a suitable bonding agent, like Loctite weld epoxy.
Cheers, got some JB Weld at the ready. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a divot.

Given the potential for a significant bum related injury if it goes pear shaped in use, surely that’s got to be worth replacing rather than mending?

I’m all for keeping parts going but that would be too much for me and I’ve got to guess replacements can’t be that hard to find, or more expensive than a bum with a new hole in it?

Given the potential for a significant bum related injury if it goes pear shaped in use, surely that’s got to be worth replacing rather than mending?

I’m all for keeping parts going but that would be too much for me and I’ve got to guess replacements can’t be that hard to find, or more expensive than a bum with a new hole in it?
I’m definitely with you on that one, no-one wants a bum with two holes in it. I was working on the opposite basis though, that once I’d JB Welded the parts together they would be about 10x stronger than the original. There was a small amount of friction left between the male and female parts, plus I scuffed the mating surfaces up for a good bond. Happy to bin it though if it will be a ticking time bum.

Tough one. I would usually say for the price of another seatpost, even a new one, that you should just replace it, having said that, JB Weld is great and i would have no issues riding post fixed with it, though it would still be on my mind now and again. A temporary solution maybe?

Just picked up a nice '98 GT Avalanche but I'm confused by what is going on with the 27.2mm seat post.

The post and saddle clamp have parted company and were only held together by friction from a cardboard shim which was stuffed into the post.

I'm probably being an idiot, but are these two mismatched parts cobbled together? I assume the saddle clamp normally gets whacked into the seat post with the intention it remains there permanently.

Cheers, Richard

View attachment 609313

View attachment 609314

View attachment 609315
You are aware that this very unique seatpost is also having a problem with the front dial for front screw.

Back