Claud Butler 1997

JonasJu

Dirt Disciple
I bought a Cape Wrath from 97 from the forum here. I thought i would share my build process and future plans for it.

Plan is to set it up as weekend commuter to explore the grounds/ commute during winter time.

Frame arrived safe and sound from UK to Lithuania via local couriers.

So once it came, i found lots of random little strange details which made me wonder "why" :D
I discovered that the there are strange black marks of paint mostly around lugs and screw holes etc. I think somebody try to spray it black on the nickel plating? Have no idea. It came with full xt set, set up as 8 speed (even though rear derailleur is 9 speed). And finally it has a goldtec chainring with teeth cut down to almost oval zero, to serve as mud protector for the ring :D :D good, i like it. i will leave it that way for now.

Plan is to get rid of the fork. Get modern wide handlebars, put new tyres, go for a ride.

Attachments

• 20200407-214816.jpg
    20200407-214816.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,737
Some photos of the weird black paint which takes off, but is pain of a work

Attachments

• IMG_2696.JPG
    IMG_2696.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,734
  • IMG_2695.JPG
    IMG_2695.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,734
Alright, lets keep on going

Got on one og v2 handlebars, random stem for time being, purple odi grips and bops around + maxxis ikon tyres.

Feel way more comfy, but the fork is about to die, it doesnt hold any air.

Attachments

• IMG_2896 2.JPG
    IMG_2896 2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,738
I have a spinner fork in my parts bin, bought a cane creek 40 to convert to threadless. Am I too far away with converting retro bike? :D :?:
And here we go for a ride

Attachments

• IMG_3851.jpg
    IMG_3851.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,731
Magpiegifts":53hsu3xp said:
Were the forks in usable condition that you took off?

At first I got them they were weird - a little bit stuck, but once they start moving they couldn't hold the air for 5 mile ride. I'm not sure, no expert on suspension, but I guess they need a good treatment? Correct me if im wrong

Latest posts

Back