Child Seat Fitting

unkleGsif

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a child seat for our 2year old, and would prefer the rear rack or frame mount type rather than those where they sit in front of you (skinny narrow retro bars do not afford a great deal of space), however thinking about my frame, I have a down tube routed top pull front mech (so a seat tube clamped option is no good) my dropouts are of the hooded Ritchey variety with no mounts (so although I have bolts up high on the seat stay, a rack is no use). As well as that, I have a seat stay routed rear mech cable, so a Heath Robinson solution with P Clips for the rack might not be possible either

Has anyone come up with a neat solution before, or know of a child seat that would suffice?

Cheers Kids
G

Years ago I tried a child seat. It was horrible in every way: getting child on/ off bike, having to balance bike with child while swinging leg over top tube, handling, child falling asleep and having to be woken when stopping, angry bored child.

I swapped to a child trailer and it was wonderful: child warm and dry in trailer, toys and food to hand. Child could sleep in trailer, spare clothes / change etc in the back. We ended up doing long tours with kids in the trailer, while cars gave us extra space. The trailer hitched to any bike with no mods at all. Eventually we graduated to a childback tandem with second child in the trailer.

Re:

I've got a rear rack mounting for sale.comes with rack and and when the seat is removed it can be used as a freestanding seat as it has adjusts to do this.

It is a coplilot, forget the brand but an excellent sest/Blackburn rack combo.

Can dig out pics if interested. Ran it on an old saracens with the ritchey drop outs. Fits rack mounts on seat stays and drop out eyelets.

Re:

Beware! The seat tube / top tube ones can wreck a lightweight frame. My 1989 Explosif was damaged on the seat tube and top tube by the previous owner using it as a kiddie hauler. :evil:

I used a seat tube mounted one a Hamax - but on my 1990 Fire Mountain which is built like a brick outhouse! It felt awful though, very wobbly with all that weight up high.

I did also briefly use the Hamax on my 2005 Lava Dome which has top-pull cable mounting on the seat tube. With careful placement of the bracket, I did manage to get the seat fitted without interfering with the front gears operation.

SP

Re: Re:

ishaw":12g07byn said:
I've got a rear rack mounting for sale.comes with rack and and when the seat is removed it can be used as a freestanding seat as it has adjusts to do this.

It is a coplilot, forget the brand but an excellent sest/Blackburn rack combo.

Can dig out pics if interested. Ran it on an old saracens with the ritchey drop outs. Fits rack mounts on seat stays and drop out eyelets.

Send us some pics if you can - will be interested in the dropout arrangement as like I say, I dont have dropout mountings

Cheers
G

hamster":60o3xttg said:
I swapped to a child trailer and it was wonderful.

Sadly, I dont have sufficient space for storage or bringing down the side of the house for a trailer - besides, the types i've seen require flat plate dropouts which I don't have

G

Back