Chainrings/gearing

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
For a touring/utility setup on a 26" wheeled, 7 speed bike. Any thoughts on size of chainrings? It's a 110/74 chainset. I'd normally be quite happy with 46/36/26.

Currently the bike has an odd 24 granny ring which does give a bit of a jump, but it's nice to know there's a proper bail out gear... The 46 biggie is worn.

Wondering about going 48/36/24 to give a bit more range. Would I regret the bigger jumps? There's something reassuringly familiar about shifting on a front triple with ten teeth between each cog...

On my tourer I run 24/38/47 with a 13-30. I'd be happy with a middle ring anywhere in the 34-38T range. A 24 front with a 28 rear is a little on the high side for me on fully-loaded climbs with camping kit.
Front shifting always seems to work a little better if the middle ring has a smaller gap to the top compared to bottom, I have a dog fang to prevent chain drop on the big 38-24 change. Shifters are bar-end.

Last edited:
If you keep the 24T but install a big 48T, you might exceed the total capacity of your front derailleur. If you need to change the big ring, Shimano Claris comes in 46T and accepts a chain cover, which is a great addition to a commuter bike!

Here's one I made earlier, 44t front was a bit too small as was the whole bike in the end

Bar end shifters are your friend as you can mix and match to your hearts content.
1635756918873.png

Back