Carlton Corsa 102.5 mile ride

Corsa of Course

Dirt Disciple
In 2012 I did the ride and stride event to raise money the church and the charity that helps churches to carry out repairs.

I did that first charity ride on my Corsa that I had given to me on my 12th birthday. It completed about 45 miles and I visited 30 churches.

After that the bike was restored. Gaining a new paint job, new alloy rims, new freewheel, new derailleur and crankset. Since then I have mostly ridden about 50 miles on this annual ride.

Then last year I did 77 miles and this year I thought I would attempt my first ever century. Last year I had a tail wind. Last year the weather was a nice temperature. Still it was only going to be 32 and the headwind was only supposed to be about 2-5mph.

I had put new balls in the rear bearing and had moved the saddle about a fair bit since the previous year, I had done a fair bit of training so I was ready. I can now safely say it is a genuinely long way to cycle. I should probably have done my first century when I was young and fit not when 57 with a slightly dodgy hip!

First photo setting out
Second photo at the last church in Maldon before riding to the parents house.
Third photo the bike computer saying 102.5
Final photo the Corsa last year's image

Attachments

• IMG-20230910-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230910-WA0001.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0162.JPG
    DSC_0162.JPG
    669.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0164.JPG
    DSC_0164.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0036.JPG
    DSC_0036.JPG
    834.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Once I got to the Royal Tiger Rettendon and got outside another pint of cola followed by a pint, followed by food I was looking a bit more cheerful, still in the same shirt and tie though!

Attachments

• DSC_0165.JPG
    DSC_0165.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 9
As I happen to have the surname Lepper there was really only one saddle I could have! My Carlton is definitely not original. It originally had short mudguards and it was 5 speed and had I think Huret rear mech which had rather natty red pulley wheels. It had steel wheels and it had sat in a shed since I was 20. Once I started driving I stopped cycling until I started again in 2012 when I was 46. I remember going to the bike and the tyres had stuck to the concrete. Amazingly the tyre would actually hold air for about 12 hours and with the addition of some slime would stay up for days. I did the first year's charity ride like that. The tyres declined quite quickly after that.
It was at that point that I thought if I am going to cycle a bit I would like my old bike to help as much as it could. New wheels were important as the old ones tore brake blocks to bits in about 30 miles of riding. A new crankset and freewheel to gain some gears and a paint job along with a new seat post to gain a bit of elevation.

Yours looks lovely though although I would definitely prefer my seat.

Just been ambushed by a car at a junction that pulled out in front of me then stopped when they right across the road. I was travelling at a good pace. I could not stop me although the bike did stop just about. I was unconscious for a while and went to hospital for a couple of days. I am bruised and battered in a few places. My helmet broke at the front and the back so two big impacts. Think I would have been seriously / terminally injured without it The bike is OK though. Ordered a new helmet should here by the weekend. I ordered a Met Trenta 3K Carbon' l thought I would treat myself!!

Thanks I am pretty much back head wise. When I woke up I kept asking the same questions, what happened? I suppose the bike is f*****? My shoulder hurts oh I seem to have bitten my lip..... What happened? I suppose the bike is .... For about 3 hours. I eventually became aware again in a bed in hospital. I had missed the ambulance ride, a number or conversations, a CT scan, these had all happened but I have zero recollection of any of it.

I have a busted rib, and a shoulder, collar bone, and neck that is bruised and painful but otherwise ok.

I was told that the drivers boyfriend thought they should claim from my insurance for a new grill and to have the scratches repainted.

The Police are thinking differently they have said it is a careless driving charge at least. Could I make a statement, which I said I would but all I remember was starting the bike ride. There is CCTV of the accident which is a little alarming to watch.

Last edited:
Back