Carlton 1970's Light Green Frame

kirkwood_mg

Retro Newbie
I found my old Carlton bike in my mother-in-law's garage and cannot seem to find out what frame type it is. I bought it around 1979/80 but cannot find any details of frame type but I remember adding bits too it, e.g. wheels, pillar, seat, handlebars. It had Suntour ends but I fitted Campag's. Does anyone know the frame type or any other information that could identify it? I used to cycle 15 miles to work on it so it served me well - deserved a make-over :)

Attachments

• Bike_01.jpg
    Bike_01.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Bike_02.jpg
    Bike_02.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Bike_03.jpg
    Bike_03.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Bike_04.jpg
    Bike_04.jpg
    839 KB · Views: 38
  • Bike_05.jpg
    Bike_05.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Bike_06.jpg
    Bike_06.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 30
Looks like a clubman in Eau de Nil, Nervex lugs and all. Available as frame only.

If the 3rd digit of the number is 7 them 1977

That is awesome, I did buy it as a frame only from a bike shop in Chester. Yes, I think the third digit is a 7 so that makes it 1977 which first as I was 17 so just right. It rides well and is good looking for an oldy, sadly not like its owner. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

We had a number of them in the family, from about the same time but I'm almost certain they were a paler shade and the decals were black outline block capitals. 3 are still in my parent's garden shed so at some point I'll have to haul them out and get rid - two were certainly resprayed in a similar colour some time in the 1980s.

That is where mine was - my mother in laws shed - rusty and unloved. I put it back together and now she is back in all her glory (albeit it some pot, dings and paint chipped but I guess you call it patina.

That is where mine was - my mother in laws shed - rusty and unloved. I put it back together and now she is back in all her glory (albeit it some pot, dings and paint chipped but I guess you call it patina.

The Carlton or your mother in law? ;)

Last edited:
Back