Car Park find - Klein Quantum Race 1997

Nice find! I own more than 10 super high class KLEINs now of the 1990-1995 period. A beautiful 1996 Quantum Race (Color for that model and build year is called: Carribean linear fade) though was my first KLEIN ever. Back in 2017. Full TUNE parts / Dura-Ace build. Yours is an awesome save at a superb steal price.

IMG_9407.JPG

IMG_9409.JPG

Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-18 um 00.14.18.png

It doesn’t look like you’re in a hurry. Before you go to Seatpost Man can I recommend getting a tin of Plusgas (the non-aerosol one) and dribbling a little bit down where the seatpost goes into the frame every couple of days. You might find after a week or so it just comes free. It won’t harm the paint or aluminium but it is a bit stinky.

It doesn’t look like you’re in a hurry. Before you go to Seatpost Man can I recommend getting a tin of Plusgas (the non-aerosol one) and dribbling a little bit down where the seatpost goes into the frame every couple of days. You might find after a week or so it just comes free. It won’t harm the paint or aluminium but it is a bit stinky.
Thinking about giving this a go. I am worried about that precious paint around the seat tube though as there is some bubbling and bare alloy around that top area. Also its an alloy post in an alloy frame and it seems the post could have been in the same position for over ten years. Have you had results with Plus gas?

Have you had results with Plus gas?
Short answer is yes. Longer answer is I’ve got both WD40 and Plus Gas in the shed and I don’t think I’ve really noticed much difference in freeing ability between the two after many years of using both to free stuff off on old cars and bikes. That said, Plus Gas is noticeably lower viscosity and it’s specifically for freeing things off. I tend to default to it for old screw threads and I’d definitely choose it for alloy-on-alloy stuck seatposts. Best thing you can do is get some on there, put a bit more on from time to time and just leave it alone to do it’s job. Check it once a week.

Short answer is yes. Longer answer is I’ve got both WD40 and Plus Gas in the shed and I don’t think I’ve really noticed much difference in freeing ability between the two after many years of using both to free stuff off on old cars and bikes. That said, Plus Gas is noticeably lower viscosity and it’s specifically for freeing things off. I tend to default to it for old screw threads and I’d definitely choose it for alloy-on-alloy stuck seatposts. Best thing you can do is get some on there, put a bit more on from time to time and just leave it alone to do it’s job. Check it once a week.
Thanks very much. Yep its just sitting before a trip up north to Seatpost Man is in the calendar, and I'm not riding it as the seat defo needs to go up for me, could be a few months so may as well give it a go.

Back