Wanted Campagnolo Jockey Pulley bolts 8 Speed

Thame Game

Retro Guru
Short bit: I need Campag or compatible bolts for my derraileur pulleys of @ 18mm or less.

Long bit: On fitting my 8 speed Record rear mech, the pulley bolts are sitting 1mm proud of the inner plate and fouling the spokes, even with the limiter screw set correct. As soon as I hit 1st it is rattling the spokes.
I bought replacement 8 speed pulleys which oddly enough are 1mm thinner than the old ones, so I can fit those and gain a little distance.
The problem of the bolts remains though, as they come right through and are well proud of the inner plate. I could file them, but you know where that end up.

Any suggestions or suitable bolts would be a big help.
20230429_150737.jpg

I might do. Dont want to damage the cage like. I've looked up campag bolts and the only size I can find is 16mm for this era derraileur.
Well you can remove the boots then file them down or even machine them down on a hobby lathe…which is what I’d be doing.

Well you can remove the boots then file them down or even machine them down on a hobby lathe…which is what I’d be doing.
I'm going to put an M5 nut on them to protect the thread and give them a file in the vice. Should do it. Nothing to loose.

I've just checked a couple of my bikes. Both Campag 9-speed, one with a Record 9 mech, the other with a Xenon 9, both with 26t sprockets.
The Record clears the spokes by almost exactly 2mm while the Xenon clears by a fraction over 1mm as the bolts project slightly from the inner cage. The two cages are different - one is alloy while the other is steel and the bolts are different too. A bolt from the Record mech is 17.5mm measured from the outside of the head. The Record outer cage (so the bit attached to the tension spring) is somewhat thicker than the inner.
Before you start filing things, I'd suggest that you take a look at other stuff such as ensuring that the gear hanger is straight and that your wheel is dished correctly.
Are you sure that it's the bolts which are catching the spokes? Sometime last year I had some sort of mind fart when assembling the Xenon mech after cleaning it, didn't find out that I'd put the inner cage on upside down until I reached a hill where I needed bottom gear and I had a musical background to my climb.

I've just checked a couple of my bikes. Both Campag 9-speed, one with a Record 9 mech, the other with a Xenon 9, both with 26t sprockets.
The Record clears the spokes by almost exactly 2mm while the Xenon clears by a fraction over 1mm as the bolts project slightly from the inner cage. The two cages are different - one is alloy while the other is steel and the bolts are different too. A bolt from the Record mech is 17.5mm measured from the outside of the head. The Record outer cage (so the bit attached to the tension spring) is somewhat thicker than the inner.
Before you start filing things, I'd suggest that you take a look at other stuff such as ensuring that the gear hanger is straight and that your wheel is dished correctly.
Are you sure that it's the bolts which are catching the spokes? Sometime last year I had some sort of mind fart when assembling the Xenon mech after cleaning it, didn't find out that I'd put the inner cage on upside down until I reached a hill where I needed bottom gear and I had a musical background to my climb.
Great info Jim, thanks. I went ahead and filed the bolts to make them flush with the inner cage, they are now 17mm. The replacement wheels are not compatible with this mech, even though they are 8 speed. Beleive it or not, the raised 'Campagnolo' lettering etc on them was fouling the cage when fitted!
So kept originals on. Even though the bolts are out the way now, the inner cage still catches the spokes upon shift.
The wheels are brand new, built superbly by Paul Hewitson.
I'll have a closer look at the frame, as I did stretch it out 15mm to accommodate 8 speed from 6.
The record mech was an Ebay buy and is looking suspiciously skeewif. I have a spare xtr 8 speed, so might fit that for a comparison.
The build is almost complete. Very frustrating at this point.

Latest posts

Back