Campagnolo Freewheel Hub (Slide On Cogs) & Shimano 600 SIS RD

Mr Weirdo

Retro Guru
Hello

I have bought a bicycle with a freewheel hub which is new to me as usually I have only ever had freewheel screw on cassettes. So the cogs I discovered individually slide on and off...they've probably been around for decades, I'm catching up very slowly lol. I would like to use my Shimano 600 sis rear derailleur circa mid 80s but would it be compatible with the Campagnolo freewheel hub which is indexed, well the cogs are and mid 1990s. It originally had a Campagnolo Mirage RD.

Also as the Shimano is only 6 speed and the hub has 8 cogs can I remove the two cogs and replace them with the appropriate spacers?

Sorry a very basic question and the terminology may not be right?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
The hub is called a freehub.
Yours is campag - they had several standards over time, not very compatible.

Additionally 6 shimano and 8 campag are very different spacing.

Campag 8 Freehub Body (the part the sprockets slide on to) come in a couple of variations.
You will need a compatible 8 speed campag cassette (that's the term for the stack of sprockets that fit on a freehub's freehub body😄)
Then you will need to look up spacing campag 8 indexed, and shimano 6 indexed, throw in any variation in sprocket thickness, and make yourself up some spacers to put 6 sprockets of your choice at the correct spacing for shimano 6 sis.

It can be done well, with difficulty.
It can easily be done badly.

Best advice is to use a more appropriate wheel, unless you're having fun solving the problem. 👍

Shimano indexed shifters and shimano SIS dérailleurs will shift OK with campagnolo cassettes

You can't use shimano shifters with campagnolo mechs unless friction

Your can't use campagnolo shifters with shimano mechs unless friction

Ideally just stay with the one manufacturer - shimano as much of the older kit is compatible with itself whereas campagnolo is not

The hub is called a freehub.
Yours is campag - they had several standards over time, not very compatible.

Additionally 6 shimano and 8 campag are very different spacing.

Campag 8 Freehub Body (the part the sprockets slide on to) come in a couple of variations.
You will need a compatible 8 speed campag cassette (that's the term for the stack of sprockets that fit on a freehub's freehub body😄)
Then you will need to look up spacing campag 8 indexed, and shimano 6 indexed, throw in any variation in sprocket thickness, and make yourself up some spacers to put 6 sprockets of your choice at the correct spacing for shimano 6 sis.

It can be done well, with difficulty.
It can easily be done badly.

Best advice is to use a more appropriate wheel, unless you're having fun solving the problem. 👍
So basically probably by the sounds of it and to make make my life easier buy a Campagnolo RD of the same vintage as the cassette would be best. Thank you for the information though!

Shimano indexed shifters and shimano SIS dérailleurs will shift OK with campagnolo cassettes

You can't use shimano shifters with campagnolo mechs unless friction

Your can't use campagnolo shifters with shimano mechs unless friction

Ideally just stay with the one manufacturer - shimano as much of the older kit is compatible with itself whereas campagnolo is not
So buy a Campagnolo RD of the same vintage...Thank you!

I do have Camp Ergo 8s but I prefer down tube gear shift levers.
In the early (8 speed) ergo/sti period, bikes had the same bar and stem fitted as downtube setup.
But riding with hands on the hoods means you want a shorter stem and forward throw on the bar.
If thecontrols are in the right place, usually with a modern shape bar and 90mm stem, you won't prefer downtube shifters (unless it's the look you're after)

I must admit I do prefer the look rather than a bulky looking front but also I don't enjoy leaning too far forward as this causes problems for my back.

I must admit I do prefer the look rather than a bulky looking front but also I don't enjoy leaning too far forward as this causes problems for my back.
Depends how often you want to change gear - being in the wrong gear is often worse for your back than choice of bar.
Also those early campag levers are relatively discreet - i have them on my...
(Along with custom spacers to get a good shift on wide ratio 8speed, unavailibilium trade)
you can check my stem length to see how I'm compensating for riding on the hoods most of the time.
If I need aero, I bend at the elbow
😆

Back