Building a new bike - what frame?

legrandefromage":gehrauer said:
Any carboot sales nearby? I've been finding all sorts of exciting stuff for less than a round of drinks.

This started out very cheap with not too much work or money to make nice

file.php

And 'collection only' on ebay is always a way to push down prices for most things, this was less than £100

file.php

They look nice bikes - why do I never find anything like this?

Re: Re:

Ugo51":3hs6uf3r said:
fastpedaller":3hs6uf3r said:
I think a Spa Audax (maybe with steel fork rather than carbon?) would suit you. I have the tourer, (had it 5 years now) and it's a good frame, all perfectly aligned and threads perfect etc. I bought just the frame (which came with taper roller headset which I couldn't get on with) and just put my selection of parts on it. Yes, It's a modern frame, but built with traditional values (skinny db tubes). I'm certainly glad I bought it. The tourer is more aimed towards 'touring', with bosses for front panniers, bosses for rear carrier (as well as mudguard eyes), and vbrake/cantilever bosses. The Audax is more a 'day bike' with mudguard eyes and caliper brakes. Hope that helps.

hehe, look what I found for sale: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spa-52cm-Fas ... %7Ciid%3A1

I didn't know about this brand, thank you for pointing it out to me.
I wrote them an email asking for more info on their Audax bike, I couldn't find much online.

They are Spa Cycles in Yorkshire. A great place (similar to SKS) for touring or more 'traditional' cycles.
The Spa frames (like most these days) are made in the Far East. They are IMHO a very good product. To give a bit of background I previously worked as a Design Engineer, and have had handbuilt frames in the past - the Spa Frame I have certainly competes on quality with handbuilt frames (unless you need a dimension which is unusual/can't be achieved with component adjustment). On price, the price is a fraction of getting a handmade. All alignment was spot-on, and threads perfect. Spa are also (info supplied by others) willing to change components if you buy a complete bike, or forks on a frame (eg you may want steel forks, I believe the Audax comes with carbon as standard)
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back