Broken Freehub body

TD75

Retro Guru
I bought a fat bike frame and some parts off Ebay a while back and the Freehub body is broken on the rear wheel. It seems to turn fine but suddenly stiffens up. Bike is a Genesis Caribou (the green one). Wheels are the stock ones that came with the bike. Can I get just the freehub body? Any ideas which one I need? I really don't want to get a new rear hub if I can help it.

Attachments

• IMG_2367-2.jpg
    IMG_2367-2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 728
Firstly try giving it a massive flush through with WD40, asa the problem is usually rust inside. Then have a look around similar ones - a decent bike shop will have a good knowledge of whose hub it looks like. My guess is Formula or Quando.

Re:

hamster you are a legend, thank you. Flushed it through around the bearings whilst making sure to move the bearings a bit so everything gets coated. All good, stiffness gone. I did take it to the bike shop and they recommended a new rear hub. It's saved me buying a new hub.

To have a go at making it last, remove the freehub body and dunk it in motor oil overnight. Ideally, warm the oil first in a bean tin, then drop the body in - the air inside will expand and as it cools will draw more oil in. Don't go mad with the heat for fear of damaging the plastic seals.
WD40 is fine for freeing up, but not a long-term lubricant.

Re:

Thanks Hamster. I'll make sure to grease the bearings or dip the Freehub body in oil.

Re:

If you've got a good motor/industrial supplier local see if they sell the 'action can' CD90 spray, it's superb stuff for things like this. It's a moderately viscous drivetrain type oil, really good staying power and water resistance suitable for heavy chains and more importantly bearings. It sprays out with a propellant so it gets in where you need it and then thickens up with some satisfying bubbles, iv rescued BB's, freehubs and even used it for wheel bearings on my summer bike with great success.

Thanks Sketchxup and Graham_HKR. Will look to use one of those products for sure before I put it all back together.

Latest posts

Back