British eagle boss mtb - any thoughts?

Lizard90

Retro Newbie
Hi I’m new here. Just looking to pick up a cheap but fairly decent rigid mountain bike to get out on trails over spring summmer. Been offered this British eagle boss mtb 18inch frame , 21speed for £70. Apparently it’s been serviced and just had all cables replaced. I do like retro bikes but any thoughts appreciated, thanks E41F260E-3409-4106-A991-950272E9C3CA.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.
It may not be the most sought after of retro stead’s, but back in the day I wanted one and I would buy one now. That one looks fairly low spec judging by the cranks and rear mech, but it is only £70. Reasonable basis to upgrade from.

Hi & welcome,

as above

The Boss is a pretty low end bike, they used fat tubes to draw in the masses but they were no lightweight. cool looking pierce top tube but The positives end there for me, if I sold this it would be a Retail £50 serviced bike with a 2 month warranty so personally I think you should get more for your £70 and if you keep your eyes peeled on gumtree something nice should appear. if you cant wait, beat em down on price but make sure you lower that stem before riding it 🚑

I'm not convinced that is even a boss. Not sure they had the seat/top tube arrangement like that. Only know of grizzly bikes that had that.

For what its worth I did think the boss looked cool bitd. Fluro/bright paint schemes and decent groupset for the money. Kind of wanted one, but ended up with a dx specced giant.

Hi and welcome. I'm not sure that is a British Eagle Boss. I've just finished re building mine. They normally come with XT group sets etc. Did you buy it in the end?

Attachments

• IMG-20210307-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20210307-WA0002.jpeg
    615.8 KB · Views: 31
doesnt look like a boss to me the early version came in yellow as pictured above with Deore DX groupset and 1 1/4 headset and the later version Black with yellow decals and a low range groupset.

I found out It’s a British eagle boss and not to be confused with the boss make of mtbs
They were all made by British Eagle mate, it was their attempt to go up market. As said above, the first version came with DX (maybe an XT version too?) and were a cheap way to get a decent groupset as. Frame didn't review especially well but they were good value for money.

After that and I imagine after they realised they failed to take the brand up market the Boss went downhill with lower spec and cheaper frames. This one seems to fall in to that era and although it'll be a perfectly usable bike you could easily get better for £70.

They were all made by British Eagle mate, it was their attempt to go up market. As said above, the first version came with DX (maybe an XT version too?) and were a cheap way to get a decent groupset as. Frame didn't review especially well but they were good value for money.

After that and I imagine after they realised they failed to take the brand up market the Boss went downhill with lower spec and cheaper frames. This one seems to fall in to that era and although it'll be a perfectly usable bike you could easily get better for £70.

Latest posts

Back