Bontrage Racelite - help to ID

Elis107

Retro Newbie
I've had this Bontrager for about 20 years although it's been in a garage for most of that time. I'd appreciate it if somebody could help me identify the model and year of the frame (my knowledge of bikes is zero). I think it's a 21-inch frame which is the dimension from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube.

Attachments

• IMG_1377.jpeg
    IMG_1377.jpeg
    640.7 KB · Views: 35
Bontrager sizing is centre to centre, so at 21" centre to top would make it a 19" or XL.

A photo of the head tube would help identify if it was a race race lite (race lites had a milled head tube)

Two piece seat stays indicate it's pre 95ish

A roller under the front mech indicates it's pre 94 Ish

It's not a privateer because I can see chainstay gussets and the colour looks like an original navy blue.

But yes, more pictures would help

OK my apologies I tried to upload several pictures at once ) - here they are:

Attachments

• IMG_1362.jpeg
    IMG_1362.jpeg
    845.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1367.jpeg
    IMG_1367.jpeg
    559.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1370.jpeg
    IMG_1370.jpeg
    534.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1373.jpeg
    IMG_1373.jpeg
    713.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1375.jpeg
    IMG_1375.jpeg
    779.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1377.jpeg
    IMG_1377.jpeg
    640.7 KB · Views: 40
Thats 94/95 race (not a race lite) in my favourite colour.

Big brother to to this one:

PXL_20230311_101611471.jpg

Assuming that you are planning to sell it, there isn't much value in the groupset, wheels or fork, because none are original to the bike and they are pretty low end, so you would be more likely to sell as frame only.

The bottom bracket area looks quite badly rusted so that might put off potential purchasers.

Sorry, just noticed the front mech routing, it's designed for a bottom pull neck and there should be a roller under the mech so that makes the frame a bit earlier 93/94.

Any earlier and the decal panels would be different

Sorry, just noticed the front mech routing, it's designed for a bottom pull neck and there should be a roller under the mech so that makes the frame a bit earlier 93/94.

Any earlier and the decal panels would be different
Thanks for your help and expertise - appreciated - yes I was going to sell it so I'll take everything off and just sell the frame
'

Latest posts

Back