Bolt for bb cable guide?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I finally freed the stuck bolt holding the bb cable guide from my gt lightning frame.

Broke an easy out (the ones I bought must have been crap as the previous one also broke). Lesson learned, buy quality.

So after dremelling the bolt head off, drilling out most of the remnants, then gently filing away until the remainder of the bolt came out, I'm left without a bolt.

I don't want to fit a steel Philips head screw back in there. I've temporarily fitted a ti derailleur cable pinch bolt but it is a little long and I reckon will foul the bb when I get to fit it. Plus the head is bigger than it needs to be.

What bolt would suit this pretty mundane purpose?

At least I now know the frame serial.as it was under the guide.

Attachments

• PSX_20210405_004851.jpg
    PSX_20210405_004851.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2
Gwr fasteners on eBay. Coloured alloy or coloured stainless steel. Probably button head Allen will be fine. Massive choice of sizes and will ship tiny orders of single bolts (or maybe 5 packs depending on bolts)

Tried a few options I had laying around, the spd cleat option works a charm. Wish it wasn't tapered but it works and will do until I find something better. I want something with a decent head as the screw style original was a pain to get out.

Attachments

• PSX_20210409_000459.jpg
    PSX_20210409_000459.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 6
  • PSX_20210409_000440.jpg
    PSX_20210409_000440.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 6
That bolt may clash with a few bottom brackets now. If that's a SPD cleat bolt, then look for other M5 bolts, iirc they're 10mm /12mm length.

If you need anything different.
You could look for low head cap or wager cap, I don't k ow the real names, it's just some of seen.
Basically a half height head (as used in Marz. Bomber braces) or the very thin style you sometimes see in furniture.

Last edited:
Use an A4 stainless M5 bolt. It is much more rustless (marine grade) than normal A2. I would strongly advise against alloy as it will corrode in Ti.
A4 stainless bolts are easily available on ebay or a chandlery such as pinbax.com

It's just an M5 bolt you need.
I normally use stainless steel 9mm M5 button cap bolts to replace the stock bolts in most frames.
A disc rotor bolt would work but might be a bit too long depending on what BB you have fitted.

A socket cap bolt would also work but button caps look a bit neater in my opinion.
Loads of steel, ano alloy and titanium options if you search the internet.

Use copper slip on the threads to limit the chances of bi-metallic corrosion in your titanium threads. But always use copper slip whatever the material unless you like the challenge of drilling out seized in bolts.

Cheers all. Will get a proper ti bolt, just want to get it built then replace parts when I can.

Back