Birmalux seat post help!!!

Diamant_Don

Retro Guru
Hi all,

Back on the forum after a lengthy hiatus and hoping someone can help with a (hopefully) basic question!

I've just bought a vintage Tierney, which came with a Birmalux seat post. In a wave of über confidence I removed the saddle and took off these parts (pic below). Now I realise I have no experience with this kind of mechanism and haven't got a clue how to reassemble!

What's the technique to get this attached to a saddle? it's too wide to fit between the bars!!!

IMG_20210518_232835408.jpg

Blimey, not seen a Birmalux / Birmetals post like that since 1976! Personally I'd swap it for something more period or modern

Attach to the saddle first:
- assemble with all the serrated parts together and just the axle.
- slide in from the back of the saddle
- add the outer plate inserts
- add the nuts

Then mount on the post and do your last fore-aft and leveling before tightening the nuts in sequence
so that the axle does not overly protrude one side or the other. You may find it a bit fiddly with a Turbo though.

Thanks both! I have the saddle back on, the Rolls I wanted to use just didn't fit but Woz's guidance got me there with the old saddle and it's rideable again! need to sort a new saddle and seatpost tho - cheers!

Excellent. The Rolls would most certainly fit with some man-handling, sore thumbs and swearing.

Back