Bike Rationalisation - 2 Become 1 ?

Unless you really don't have the space for two bikes, my advice would be to keep to two since the way I see it, they're doing quite different jobs:

The road bike's job is mainly to make sure you're getting as much enjoyment out of the rides that you do for pleasure. If you're studying your Strava times then having to compromise by dragging around the bike that you use for work will eat into your satisfaction (well it would for me, anyway!) In practice your enjoyment could come from being able to travel as far/fast as possible as your fitness will allow (speed/efficiency), comfort and handling, appearance/style, but that budget should get you a bike you can cherish and appreciate on the roads whatever you prioritise. For a more classic-styled modern road bike that could be something like a Genesis new, and second hand your budget would probably get a titanium frame model.

The commuter bike's job is to get you presumably relatively short distances reliably and effectively and ideally not to get stolen in between - but not to matter that much if it does either. A £1000 bike locked up in the city is always going to look like more or less like a £1000 bike, and regardless of whether it looks attractive to your everyday thief you're still taking that risk with your £1000 bike every time it goes to work with you.

That kind of budget would be more than adequate to get you a road bike you could really cherish plus a reliable but cheap/replaceable second hand commuter that you won't have to worry about all day. Your current commuter might already do that, though personally I think 26" wheeled retrobikes can make great commuters since they're now entirely unfashionable, cheap to buy second hand, cheap to get second hand parts for, have lots of tyre options depending on your needs (comfy high volume slicks, winter grip, puncture resistance etc), lightweight and can be nimble in the traffic.

Re: Re:

d8mok":ik128h2r said:
This would do it

Light and fast enough for road work

But different tyres and guards and can be used for winter and wet.

Not exactly in the spirit of what the OP was suggesting nice as this is.

I think he was talking about doing the 2 into 1 on a budget or self build.

Perhaps an old 531 CS or Pro frame made into a winter bike and a MTB for off roading.

Suggestions and pics please .

Re: Re:

PeterPerfect":26tptp96 said:
d8mok":26tptp96 said:
This would do it

Light and fast enough for road work

But different tyres and guards and can be used for winter and wet.

Not exactly in the spirit of what the OP was suggesting nice as this is.

I think he was talking about doing the 2 into 1 on a budget or self build.

Perhaps an old 531 CS or Pro frame made into a winter bike and a MTB for off roading.

Suggestions and pics please .

No budget was given. £4K in London is the price of a happy meal. If he’s got a sunny day road bike and a flat bar bike they could easily be worth more.

This is exactly what he described in the 2 into 1 situation. A gravel /adventure bike. Most folk wouldn’t look twice at it.

This was a self build.

Once a budget was given I suggested something within that.

You’ve just suggested replacing his two bikes with two bikes so nowhere near what he asked.

Thanks for your input as helpful as it was.

Moqi":2mrdtywo said:
Apart from the fact that i my opinion the more bikes the better - you can tailor each bike for a particular set of circumstances - 3 of mine live in the hallway and one in the lounge, bit inconvenient sometimes especially the e mtb with its stupidly wide handlebars, but that's something i can live with (but then theres only me and the cat and he doesn't mind)

I'd second the roadrat- though avoid the first versions with the derailleur built into the sliding dropouts and the awful cantilever brake problem ( seat stays too close together ) when i stripped mine for sale i was amazed how light it was without the rack and mudguards

I've got the road bike in my office : it rarely gets wet and it's an objet d'art so no problem.

My Cannondale citybike also has stupid wide bars. It's hanging up on a staircase landing but often does come in wet so it's messing up the wall and I'm getting domestic grief.

The more I think about it the more I think I have to keep two bikes . In the summer I get out of London up the River Lea or out on the Grand Union canal towpaths and I'm not a good enough bike handler to do it on tyres less than 35mm.

I've asked the council about getting one of the secure cycling storage "pods" in my street : two year waiting list !

It looks identical to this one sold on ebay in November in Glasgow- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cotic-Roadra ... 4554270737.
Probably overpriced as it's a mark one with the horrible derailleur hanger built into the sliding dropouts/chaintugs. It will also have a ginormous effective top tube. I had a medium mark one and with a 100mm stem it was a bit of a stretch (should have changed stem) and i'm 5 ft 10.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

If you like steel, but not a fan of newer geometry, and want something more sporty than a Dawes galaxy, I would keep an eye open for a late 80s Reynolds steel frame with a long head tube from Dawes, Raleigh, Carlton etc. If you pick one with a fair bit of tyre clearance you can run it with 32c or even 35c tyres. That era of frame also has good compatibility with modern components in terms of road brake calipers, rear derailleurs, modern wheels etc. I run a 1986 Carlton Kermesse with a modern 2x10 105 groupset, modern wheels etc. It's still an excellent road bike. The frame I chose is a bit too sporty in hindsight, with a very short head tube and just enough frame clearance for a 28c tyre but it's still pretty capable for commuting on awful roads and most cycle paths.

Attachments

• IMG_13102020_085036_(900_x_506_pixel).jpg
    IMG_13102020_085036_(900_x_506_pixel).jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 334
Back