Bike or rolling chassis

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
A friend is after an mtb as currently not enjoying his more road oriented bike for local rides off road.

I've offered him a few of my own options but due to the current situation, they are out of his price range.

His budget is £300. Hes not fussed on wheel size, but frame size required is 19/19 inches,top tube must be 23/24 inches.

I'm happy to help him with parts from my stash to get it built, but the £300 is his all in amount.

I've got a fair few parts I can help him out with, so throwing this up to see what I can get him for his budget.

Any options considered from frame only upwards, though prefer rolling chassis ascent have any wheels or forks to suit his budget either. Keen to help him out and get him an mtb so we can ride together in this time of enforced solitude.

No option is a bad one, but I work with him so dont want to end up with something with issues as I'll see him every day once we are all back at work.

Hit me with options, if I can complete the build with parts I have and meet his budget, I'm happy even if I donate him parts.

Cheers

Re:

Marin Pine Mountain (orange and black) frame, forks, and ritchey headset 19.5" small dent in top tube

Re:

Not sure about a dented frame. Got any pics of it and the dent? What year and wheel size? Need to factor in the rest of the build for his budget.

Re:

Sorry thought this was in the pre 98 section it is a 91/92 :facepalm:

Pic 4 shows the dent/dimple

Attachments

• Marin 4.jpg
    Marin 4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 563
  • Marin 3.jpg
    Marin 3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 563
  • Marin 2.jpg
    Marin 2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 563
  • Marin 1.jpg
    Marin 1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 563
Re:

I have a Merlin Malt II frame & headset only, 19", disc compatible for 26" wheels. No dents or cracks, nice & light and it does ride well. Fitted Richey headset with good bearings & crown race.

Takes a 27.2 seat post, 31.8 clamp & front mech band.

Cosmetically it has chips and scratches/scuffs etc.

£35 plus postage or collect from Rotherham S63.

If it is of interest I can get you pictures of the bare frame tomorrow.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 528
Re:

Thanks. I had one of these myself and agree they a nice riding frames. I'll see whst else comes up but it's a contender.

If I'm honest I'm hoping for more than just a frame as whilst I have a lot of parts, many will break his budget as I've only got forks and wheels that are high end and whilst I'm trying to help him out as much as I can, I cant give away a set of sids, or spinergy wheels, as much as I'd like too.

I've got a Gary Fisher Big Sur frame only 2001, 19". Has V mount and also a disc mount, but it's the kooky 22mm Hayes type.

Reluctant":1v7b6zmm said:
I've got a Gary Fisher Big Sur frame only 2001, 19". Has V mount and also a disc mount, but it's the kooky 22mm Hayes type.
Thanks but not what I'm after. Disc only, modern-ish is desired. His more road oriented bike is pretty much new, he just made a bad choice in the type of bike he bought. Can't fit much bigger tyres on it due to seat tube clearance, hence new bike time.

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":3vzaw73r said:
Sorry thought this was in the pre 98 section it is a 91/92 :facepalm:

Pic 4 shows the dent/dimple

How much are you after for the scruffy Marin out of interest?

Back