Best way to remove hard anodising on Manitou frame ?

freddok

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi,

All is in the title... I'm looking to work on a 96' Manitou frame who need some love. I think find the right product to remove varnish but I'm really in doubt for the easiest and safest (for the frame) method for remove anodised finish. I've had some success with drain cleaner on some seatposts and other parts but not sure about the use of it on this uncracked frame.

Second option in mind is a full polishing but unsure of the correct tools and maybe need to go with a professional for this job.

I've read a lot of thread here about removing ano but not sure what is work the best on hard anodising and especially on a frame.

Thanks for your help and open for any advice...
Fred

Last edited:
Hard anodising is very difficult to remove with chemicals, indended as it is to resist chemical attack. The old faithful oven cleaner will have an effect, but how much it removes and how thoroughly is anyones guess.

Vapour blasting will do it and is safe, but isn't cheap and not aome many places do it.

@Chopper1192 thanks for your input !! I've thInk about this solution, even if I didn't really know it and it's results. I've find a motorcycle painter who use this method and try to contact him. He use also Cerakote finish who can be maybe also an option to replace clear ano first used...
to be continued...

Back