Basso restoration

ANDYLO

Retro Newbie
Hi All. Recently purchased a Basso Ascot frame of a member and plan to restore it. My plan is do strip and respray to original colours with new decals then rebuild. I have some nice retro Mavic wheels and some nice shiny Cinelli handle bars. When it comes to groupset I am a bit undecided as I am working to a tight budget. I want the bike to look as original as possible but incorporate a more modern 10 speed setup using new or good s/h parts. The problem I have is most of the components I need are generally advertised in black and not silver. The question is, would a black groupset look out of place on this bike.
What are your opinions please.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 389
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 388
Re:

shimano ultegra 6600 and dura ace 7800 is all silver and shiney and not too scarce, although some of the 7800 is starting to get a bit pricy.

you can also get shimano 6700 in silver, but its more matt silver than polished look

Re:

Yeh looked at Shimano groupsets as that`s what I usually use, but thought maybe this ought to be built with campy.

Re: Re:

ANDYLO":1c1zrk45 said:
Yeh looked at Shimano groupsets as that`s what I usually use, but thought maybe this ought to be built with campy.
the word is CAMPAG ;)

if you are choosing Potenza, this comes in silver, but again is an anodized matt rather than polished silver

Does it have to be a 10 speed setup? I would think if you go for an 8 or 9 instead, there will be more affordable Campagnolo options out there - plus probably more likely to be a better fit, looks-wise...

Really nice frame. Good luck with the components; I'm looking for athena 11 speed bits in silver for months and still on it ....

The only advantage I'd see going with 10 speed is that you can run larger cogs, specially with shimano, or maybe you already got a 10 speed wheelset/cassette.

If you can manage with 39 front and 29 rear, I'd also reccomend going with campy 9 speed as an option within budget; a mix with chorus and a cool record crankset would shine. If you want to go black at the end and like neo-retro stile, I'd then go for centaur as a cheap option. But for this frame/colours, I'm with you on silver

Re:

Modern Centuar 11 comes in Silver. Added advantage of Shimano and SRAM cassettes working nicely. (It does, I have 3 on it and Potenza).

Re:

Veloce & Centaur 2008 came in silver, 10 speed. Nice looking groups. Not too expensive but prices are hiking up on eBay.

Back