Withdrawn Barron 653 with complete Shimano Santé groupset

Came as standard on the 88 Raleigh Record Ace Moderne 653. I always thought it as tarted up 600 Ultegra, remember it came out late 87/early 88

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-26 214946.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-11-26 214946.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 17
Really nice. Original colour, or repainted?
Here is what I know about Sante (copied from a different forum):

"Sante offered as a freewheel used the Dura-Ace 7s freewheel standard, which I believe pre-dated the Ultegra 7s cassette. There never was a 7s Ultegra or 600 freewheel.
The OEM use of Sante on the Schwinn Circuit employed a 7s Uniglide cassette, with the freehub body not being of the Dura-Ace style with integrated mounting bolt.
The Sante hubs were super-nice, but their prominent elastomer outer shields may prove delicate during rebuilds 30 years later!
The Sante rear derailer easily accommodates 12-28t cassettes while shifting perfectly during a sporting level of riding in hilly terrain. The 9t lower pully is not something that can be easily found these days, but lasts a very long time. One of the limit screws is relocated to the cage-pivot knuckle of the derailer!
The Sante bottom bracket used the old Dura-Ace AX 108mm (lo-profile) spindle dimensions, but 107mm cartridge-bb replacements are common as dirt and work perfectly.
That shorter 108mm spindle length was still ahead of it's time in 1988!
I believe the Sante chainrings were always of the BioPace 53/42t variety. The crank pedal holes were "blind" tapped, not thru holes.
The Sante calipers feel good and responsive in use but can be harder to keep centered in use than newer dual-pivot calipers. Sante levers had integral quick release buttons and were even offered in a petite version with shorter reach.
The Sante headset features the French-style headset locking system, but with finer teeth for finer adjustments.
It works great but has plastic covers that can become lost or broken, with replacements being very rare to find.
Suntour knocked off the Sante gruppo with their own white "Ole" gruppo, which was of a much lower grade or quality.
Were there any other production bikes (other than the Circuit) that were spec'd with the Sante gruppo?
Might Schwinn have had anything to do with the concept and development of the Sante gruppo? It seems like a crazy lot of work that Shimano did to make such a limited-production gruppo, but for the large number of Schwinn Circuits that used it."
Sante was an option on all Swiss Allegro bikes of the period too. I had it on my old Prestige model. Lovely group set. It's the 78A ST. prestige.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back